St Sampsons, Guernsey

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
St Sampson Crest

Contents

Introduction

St Sampson’s, the second town in Guernsey, is situated north of St Peter Port, and is almost connected with it by houses and rows of buildings along the shore. It is much smaller than St Peter Port, being little more than one-fifth the population; is bounded on the north and west by the Vale parish; on the south by St Peter Port, and on the east by the sea; and contains an area 3,569 vergées of land and a population of 2,986 inhabitants, census of 1871. It is a place of considerable business in connection with the stone trade, which is centred there, to take advantage of the adjacent quarries and of the harbour. Many improvements have been made in the harbour, and the town is continually increasing its importance; there is little to attract or interest a stranger, all the buildings except the church being of modern construction. The lands of this parish were in the hands of the Duke of Normandy till William the Conqueror rewarded Sampson d’Anneville with about one-fourth of the island, among which was a part of this parish, then erected into the fief or royalty still called the fief d’Anneville. Hill’s Historical Directory of the Channel Islands (1874)

Churches

Church of England

Methodist

Roman Catholic

Schools

Government & Public Administration

Leisure & Entertainment

Aerial view of St Sampsons Harbour approx 1930s

Commercial

Subdivisions

Ancient Monuments

Old Family Houses

Fiefs

Coastline

---

See Also

References

  • Davies, Dorothy, St Sampson the Missionary, Facts and Legends, RGS, 1961
  • Coysh, Victor, Delancey, past and present, RGS, 1992

Links

Personal tools
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs