A history of Broad Street properties - north side
This history of traders and residents of Broad Street has been drawn from four main sources - commercial directories in 1833-34, and 1852, census returns from 1841 onwards, almanac street listings from 1874, and advertisements in almanacs and nenwspapers. Commercial directories are incomplete because businesses usually paid to be listed, which means that some businesses which declined this opportunity were not mentioned. Census returns, by their nature, listed people living in properties, not the businesses operating from there. Frequently the two can be identified because the returns included the occupations of residents, and more often than not, the head of household was engaged in a business at his or her residential address. Almanac street directories sometimes showed residents, sometimes businesses, sometimes owners of the premises who may have neither lived nor been in business there.
Advertisements, although only available for a limited number of businesses, are perhaps the most reliable source, because if somebody advertised that they were running a business at a particular property, and the date of publication is known, that is a pretty conclusive indication that the business was there.
So piecing together a history of a street can involve a considerable amount of detective work. We hope that our efforts will prove of value to those who can identify their ancestors living and working in Broad Street. Where possible we have linked residents and traders to family trees in Jerripedia.
Properties on the north side of Broad Street were relatively small, backing on to King Street. Originally the Broad Street side of the majority of these properties was the dominant side, but as King Street grew in importance, Broad Street only had back doors to many of the shops. On the south side the properties stretched much further back and many of them contained housing units around a central courtyard.
Because of the disparity in sizes the properties on opposite sides of the street have developed in different ways. On the north most remain retail outlets, whereas on the south there have been printing establishments, newspaper publishers and, over the years, an increasing number of banks and other financial institutions.
In 1833-34 No 2 Broad Street was occupied by tobacconist George Helier Anthoine, born in Grouville in 1796, the son of George and Susanne Canivet who married in the same parish that year. George Helier married Magdeleine Jaffrey in 1816 and they had six children: Eliza (1817- ), Emelia (1821- ), Mary (1821- ), Philip (1822- ), George (1826- ) and John (1831- ). The twin girls were milliners.
The 1841 census records the family here, but George is now described as a tinker (a mender of pots and pans).
An advertisement in 1840 shows J Shave at No 3, manufacturing saddles, harnesses and trunks, but we have been unable to find any other mention of this business. He was presumably the same saddler, Joseph Shave, who was in business at 28 Halkett Place in 1851.
In 1851 the property was occupied by Edward Esnouf (1821- ), an ironmonger and tinplate maker, living with his widowed half sister Ann Godfray (1806- ) and brother Philip (1824- ). They were the sons of Jean Edward Esnouf and Anne Le Cras Durell. By 1861 Edward had married Sophia Louise Collins (1834- ), of Guernsey. They had four children: Edward James Henry (1856- ), Frederick Richard (1857- ), Philip Durell (1858- ) amd Emma Louisa (1861- ). Edward was still a tinker in 1861, but also described as a landed proprietor - perhaps following the death of his father.
Stationer Eliza Walter, born in 1804 and widowed, was at No 2 in 1871, followed by a Miss Stoneman three years later. In 1880 Frederick Hollinshead, a silversmith and jeweller was listed at No 2, but he would soon move to 35 King Street.
Draper Frank Helier Le Rossignol appears to have moved in the opposite direction, starting at 43 King Street. But this is just the first example we will encounter of a business with a frontage on both King Street and Broad Street. 43 King Street and 2 Broad Street are at either end of New Cut, which connects the two at the eastern end of Broad Street. Unlike properties further down the street, however, the two are not connected, but there is a narrow lane running between them.
The Le Rossignol family ran the business until about 1910, when it was followed by Au Gagne Petit, until the 1950s, and then Le Poidevin's.
The picture in the box clearly shows that at one stage this property was home to Richmond Boarding House, but we have not been able to find any further reference to this business
The first recorded occupants of No 4 Broad Street were brazier T Aubin and Silversmith A P Sebire in 1833-34. By the time of the 1841 census watchmaker John Martyn (1804- ) was living there with his second wife Eliza, nee Biddlecombe, and six of his children by his first wife Molly Grandin. John and Molly had married in St Helier in 1824 and had eight children: Jean (1825- ), Thomas (1826- ), Susan (1831- ), Ellen (1831- ), Josue (1835- ), Ethelia (1836- ), Mary Susanne (1839- ), and Eliza (1840- ). John's second wife Eliza was only 14 years older than the eldest of her charges and would give John four further children: Eliza (1840- ), Elizabeth (1846- ), Eliza (1848- ) and John (1852- ).
In 1851 three separate households were listed at 4 Broad Street. Widow Jane Aubin (1791- ) was described as an ironmonger and was living with her two nephews George Frederick (1830- ) and John Square (1826- ).
Seed merchant Victoire Melanie Langelier, nee La Croix (1791- ), also a widow, was living with her daughter Zephirine (1830- ). Victoire married Pierre Francois Langelier from Manche, Normandy, in St Helier in 1822. The couple had four further children: Achille Jean (1826- ), Pierre Emile (1830- ), Anastasie Melanie (1832- ) and Elmire Jane (1834- ).
The third houshold was that of watchmaker Charles Thomas Bonner, born in England in 1823.
In 1861 tin plate worker George Frederick Square was head of the only household listed at No 4, living with his wife Patty Mary, nee Fleming (1835- ), born in Sark, and son Alfred Fleming (1860- ). Patty was widowed by 1871 at the age of 36 and living with children William (1860- ), Alfred (1860- ) and Alice (1863- ).
A second household was occupied by fancy stationer Louisa Cooper (1835- ), also a widow, and her daughter Jane (1867- ), plus a family of four boarders.
William Henry Le Dain (1841- ) was head of household in 1881. Also a tinsmith, William was living with his wife Maria, nee Davy, born in London in 1842, and their children Vida (1867- ) and William Charles Alfred (1875- ). Another son, Arthur, was born the following year. The Le Dains were at 4 Broad Street into the 1910s. In the 1891 census William Henry was described as a hotel proprietor, perhaps a link to the Richmond Boarding House sign.
Following the Le Dains there are references in almanac street listings to a number of residential occupants, as the ground floor of the property became part of the Au Gagne Petit and Le Poidevin's business which also occupied the two adjoining premises. In 1930 the property was also home to the Needlework Bureau and a Ladies Club.
Moss and Moore, tailors and drapers, were listed in the 1852 Post Office directory at 6 Broad Street. We do not know anything about Mr Moore, but the 1851 census shows Thomas Moss (1814- ) to have been in residence, and it was a large business because he was employing 30 staff. He was the son of Thomas Moss (1778- ) and Susanne Binet, and grandson of Robert and Judith Cartwright. Thomas was married to Mary Ann, nee Copp (1827- ) and the census shows them living with their daughter Eliza and Thomas's younger sister Ann (1833- ).
There is no record for the premises in the 1871 census, and by 1871 Charles Norman (1831- ) a master draper employing 25 staff was living at No 6 with his wife Anne (1835- ), and children Anne (1860- ), Charles (1862- ), Arthur (1866- ), Edmund (1868- ) and Edith (1870- ). Charles was born in St Martin, the son of Jean Norman, of Guernsey, and Esther Ballieul. The couple were married in Trinity in 1826 and had two further children, James (1834- ) and Esther Elizabeth (1836- ). The Normans, seemingly Charles and his brother James, were in business here until the early 1890s.
Although 1895 and 1900 almanacs do not mention the boarding house, they do record the presence of W G Barnes, which presumably ties in with the Barnes Boarding House shown in the photograph in the box at the top of the page. In 1895 the premises were also home to the French Consulate, which has moved backwards and forwards across St Helier over the decades. By 1910 the property was part of Au Gagne Petit, and then Le Poidevin's from the 1920s, through to the late 20th century. Sun Life Association of Canada also had offices at No 6 in the 1950s and '60s.
Milliner John Berteau was in business at 8 Broad Street in the 1830s and '40s, followed by his widow Jane, also a milliner, in the '50s and '60s. John was born in 1791, the son of Jean Berteau and Jeanne Grellier, and descended from a St Lawrence family.
In the 1850s and '60s watchmaker and dentist Sebastien de la Lande (1806- ) was also in business at No 8, followed by his son Gustave Edouard (1839- ) in the '70s. In 1881 the census showed ship's carpenter William Park (1849- ) living there with his wife Harriet (1857- ), a tobacconist.
From 1886 the premises were part of Beghin's footwear retailers, and remained so until the business closed in 2019.
10 Broad Street is also part of Beghin's today. It was occupied in 1833 by Eagle Fire Office agent J Blampied, followed in 1852 by Collas Jouault's fancy repository. There are no census records for the property until 1861, when it was occupied by Fanny Skelly (1833- ) a publican. This does not necessarily mean that No 10 was a public house, but the 1874 commercial directory listing for P Briard and 1880 almanac listing of A Lavesa, both as publicans, suggest that it definitely was.
Thomas Soper, a hatter born in 1834, the son of William and Ann, was at 10 Broad Street in the 1890s. He is shown in the 1891 census with his wife Jane Eliza, nee Davis (1839- ), and children Edith (1875- ), Florence (1877- ) and Hilda (1883- ). The eldest child, Alfred William (1873- ) had apparently left home by then. Thomas Soper was trading at No 10 into the 1910s, and by 1920 the premises had been taken over to expand Beghin's shoe shop.
12 Broad Street was the only premises on this side of the street known to have housed a bank. In the 1852 Post Office directory the Jersey British Exchange Bank is shown there, as well as milliner Mrs Fanny Hamont (1815- ). The 1851 census reveals her to have been born in Finistere, the wife of Trouet Hamont, a Cooper, born in the Seine department of France. Their daughter Louise (1835- ) was born in Garonne.
In 1861 the occupants were John Watson (1797- ) a tin plate maker, and his wife Elizabeth, born the same year, a bonnet maker. Ten years later the occupation of head of widowed household Anne Arthur (1821- ) was also milliner. She had her schoolmistress daughter Anne (1848- ) living with her.
The family of watchmakler and jeweller Henry Courtenay, born in England in 1822, were the next occupants of the premises. He was married to Jemima, nee Baxter (1830-1873) and they had children John (1853- ), William Henry (1855-1911), Alice (1856- ), Philip Frederick (1858- ), Elizabeth (1859-1941) and Emma Louisa (1861- ). William Henry married Louisa Emily Miller (1859-1929) and they had six children, Henry William (1882- ), Frederick John (1885- ), Nellie Elizabeth (1886- ), Arthur Thomas (1887-1905), Charles George (1892-1914) and Katherine Alice (1894- ).
Tea dealer and stationer William Rose was shown as the occupier of No 12 in 1886 and 1890 almanacs, followed by his widow in 1895. The premises backed on to 55 King Street. Mrs Selina Stevens ran a fancy repository in the 1900s and then hosier William Henry Saunders was in business until the 1950s, followed by Wellman's and G Longstreeth.
Hairdresser D Le Cornu was at No 14 in 1833, followed by shoemaker Benjamin Retallick (1796- ) and his wife Mary, nee Hamon, in 1841. They had eight children. After the death of her husband, Mary Retallick traded as a stay and corset maker. Although she was still listed at the premises in the 1852 Post Office directory, the previous year's census showed the Goff family there. They were William, born in Alderney in 1801, his dressmaker wife Margaret, nee Gallienne (1803- ), daughter Ann (1829- ), also a dressmaker, and grandson James (1844- ).
An 1859 advertisement shows boot and shoe retailer Philip William Benham having opened an outlet at No 14, stretching through to 57 King Street behind.
But for a time the two properties were again occupied separately, with eating house proprietor George Greensill at No 14 in 1871, followed by tailor J Johnston and E Becquet's Light and Heat Depot in 1880. In 1886 William Roses's substantial tea retail business occupied 12 and 14 Broad Street, backing on to 55 and 57 King Street. For a short time a 14½ Broad Street was listed, occupied by W W Woods. In 1895 Mrs Selina Stevens' fancy repository occupied Nos 12 and 14. Then George Lewis' hair salon ran through from King Street to Broad Street in the 1900s and '10s, before the Dubras family took over the whole property, remaining there into the 1970s and beyond.
16 Broad Street was home to only four businesses between 1833 and 2011. The first was run by boot and shoe manufacturer J Ching. He was followed within two decades by the Kark family, who made clothes, corsets and stays and bonnets were first recorded at 16 Broad Street in the 1851 census, and were still there 60 years later, before the property was taken over by Wheway's, the sports shop which was there from 1912 to 2011.
The 1851 census showed tailor John Kark (1824- ) and his family at No 16. His wife Mary (1823- ) was no stranger to Broad Street. She was born Mary Retallick, daughter of Benjamin and Mary Retallick, who traded next door at No 14. She and her daughter Mary Jane (1849- ) were at No 16 until 1910.
In addition to the Kark family, the 1871 census showed clockmaker Francis Charles Slade Moorman (1811- ) living at No 16 with his wife Eliza and daughters Matilda and Emily Ellen.
In 1912 Frank Wheway founded his sporting goods shop at No 16. 2nd Lieut Wheway, a talented Muratti footballer, died of wounds in Belgium on 14 November 1917 aged 28. The Wheway Cup is presented annually in his memory, and of all other Jersey footballers killed in the First World War.
This property makes the corner of Broad Street and Rue es Haguais, the link through to King Street. At times it has been occupied by the same business as No 59 King Street, which backs on to it; at others there have been two distinct businesses operating. It is notable that the Broad Street property has not featured in census returns.
Hairdresser G Robinson was listed in an 1833 commercial directory, followed in 1874 by W Netten's boot and shoe warehouse, and then A Le Ruez in the same business. P C Gallichan's men's outfitter La Belle Jardiniere had entrances on both King Street and Broad Street from the 1890s to the 1920s, followed by tobacconist J R Rowland. The property was then divided again and the Broad Street side was occupied in the 1950s and '60s by Evelyn's, Self-drive Service and Jersey Photos, and then Douglas Jewellers, which later became Town Jewellers, and is still on the corner today.
This property, which makes the opposite corner of Broad Street and Rue es Haguais, is the final one on the north side of Broad Street which is a separate property from the King Street shop which backs on to it. Since 1833, and probably much earlier, it has been a public house, and for much of that time it has been known as the Mitre. For a brief time in the 2000s and '10s it was Bellini's Blue Note Jazz Bar, but now it is the Mitre Hotel again.
In 1833 it was the Rising Sun, managed by Pierre l'Hotellier, who lived there with his wife Elizabeth, nee de Caen, and their son Abraham (1831- ) in 1841.
The next reference to a public house in in the 1881 census when John Allen was listed as a master mariner and publican. It is not clear whether the property had ceased to be an inn in the intervening years, but as well as the l'Hotelliers, in 1833 and 1841, Edward Turner was shown there as an ironmonger.
Born in 1791, he was married to Lucinda, nee Lamble (1796- ). They had children Lucina Mary (1819- ), Jane Harriet (1821- ), Edward Richard (1823- ), John Edward (1824- ) and Edwin James (1827- ). Edward Richard took over the business after the death of his father was was living at No 20 in 1851 with his brothers and sisters.In 1874 there was a commercial directory reference to stationer Mrs R Wallis.
From then onwards it was innkeepers all the way, John Allen in the 1890s being followed by his widow Grace; John Mallet in charge from 1895 to the 1910s; then G Le Blond, Mrs A B Carter in the 1930s, '40s and '50s, F G Fairfax in the '60s and H Parry in the '70s.
Nos 22 to 36
These properties were essentially the back of King Street shops and did not feature in any census return. Occupancy can be worked out from who was listed in the King Street side of the properties at any time, as well as almanac listings for Broad Street.
There is no mention of any Broad Street property in this range in an 1874 almanac directory. In 1880 No 26 was occupied by gunsmith John Hunt, and no 36 by publican J Allen, although we believe this may have been an error. As the years progress from the 1880s into the 20th century, more Broad Street properties are listed in almanacs. Nos 22 and 24 are not shown until 1905, and 36 is the last to make an appearance in the 1970s.
All businesses listed correspond with those already shown on our King Street pages - just follow the numbered links above.