History of Queen Street properties - even numbers
This view of Queen Street in 1936 shows where the General Post Office was situated from 1852 to 1881. The two-storey building behind the car (No 18) was the post office. The three-storey building next to it (No 16) was taken over by Grand Hotel du Calvados after its Royal Square building burnt down. It was subsequently renamed Continental Hotel, and this is the name showing on the facade of No 18 in 1836, indicating that the hotel had occupied both properties. This is somewhat at odds with trade and street directories which show that the Benest family's estate agency and auctioneer's business was at No 18 when Hotel Continental was at No 16, and then took over those premises as well
This history of traders and residents of Queen Street has been drawn from three main sources - commercial directories in 1833-34, and 1852, census returns from 1841 onwards, and almanac street listings from 1874. Commercial directories are incomplete because businesses usually paid to be listed, which means that some businesses which declined this opportunity were not mentioned. Census returns, by their nature, listed people living in properties, not the businesses operating from there. Frequently the two can be identified because the returns included the occupations of residents, and more often than not, the head of household was engaged in a business at his or her residential address. Almanac street directories sometimes showed residents, sometimes businesses, sometimes owners of the premises who may have neither lived nor been in business there.
So piecing together a history of a street can involve a considerable amount of detective work. We hope that our efforts will prove of value to those who can identify their ancestors living and working in Queen Street. Where possible we have linked residents and traders to family trees in Jerripedia.
In its early years the street was similar in many ways to the longer King Street. It had its share of drapers, milliners, grocers, boot and shoe sellers, tobacconists and hairdressers. But as the years passed and King Street became the more important shopping area, Queen Street continued to be a row of smaller establishments, particularly on the south side. The all-important drapers were located in King Street (with the exception of Frederick Baker on the other side of this street).
A number of hotels and inns were located here, most notably the ever-present Exeter Hotel, at No 22, which is shown by name in 1861, was probably at the same location at least ten years earlier, and remains at the same location with the same name to this day.
For many years 2 Queen Street has been a jeweller's, but the earliest references we have found, in 1833-34, show it occupied by rope maker J Balcam, who also ran a tobacconist's, and milliners P Hillman and M Millikin.
The 1851 census shows that hats were still to the fore, with English hatter Nicholas Brown (1807- ) in business there. He was living with his wife Susan, nee Renouf, (1817- ), probably the daughter of Philip and Elizabeth Carrel, and their children Nicholas, John, Susan and Philip jnr. Also at the same address was Napoleon Bienaime Goupillot, a watch maker born in France in 1909, married to Marie Anne, nee Jasper from Guernsey, and with three sons and a daughter. Mr Goupillot, a prominent jeweller and silversmith in Jersey in the 19th century is variously shown as Napoleon and Bienaime in different records. The Le Goupillots are not mentioned in the 1861 census, but they reappear in 1871, with son Eneas (1845- ) working for his father.
In 1861 grocer Jean de Veulle (1802- ) was listed at No 2, together with his wife Betsey, nee Marett (1808- ). An 1874 street directory shows tailor P Benest and watchmaker E Le Goupillot, presumably Eneas, trading at No 2, with just Eneas there in an 1880 almanac. Nobody was resident at the property at the time of the 1881 census, and by 1890 and '96 P Le Geyt was shown as running a fancy repository at 2, 4 and 6 Queen Street, one of the largest undertakings on this side of the street at any time in the last 200 years.
A 1900 listing shows jeweller J Cutler at No 2. This would suggest that he had taken over from Philip Le Geyt. Photographs of the premises from the late 19th century show both their names over the shopfront at the same time, and what we previously took to be an earlier picture showing just Mr Cutler's name, would now appear to be from a later date, suggesting that he had taken over sole ownership of the business. He was still listed as the trader in 1905, 1910 and 1920 almanacs, to be followed in 1930 by Goldsmiths Alliance, and then H A Assinder, renowned jewellers at the corner property until late in the 20th century. The business is now again called Goldsmiths.
This property does not appear in any of the 1830s commercial directories. The 1851 census gives the occupants as dentist Robert Feltham, born in England in 1817, his wife Maria, formerly Wright (1812- ), and her three daughters from a previous marriage. The property is vacant in the next two censuses, and by 1874 it is occupied by tobacconist J J Shave. He was trading there until about 1886, when the property was absorbed into the Le Geyt fancy repository.
An 1862 advertisement indicates that George Bowring was trading in watches and jewellery here, up to 11 October that year. The business was then closed and taken over, with the stock, by the owner's brother-in-law John Genge, who was in business in Hue Street. This was presumably because of George Bowring being ill; he died in 1864 at the age of 38. He was married to John Genge's sister Mary (1825- ) and they had three children aged from four to eight when he died.
In 1833 these premises were the Blue Pigeon Tavern, run by a Mr Falle. This was followed by Clement Sullivan's (1818- ) pharmacy. He lived there in 1851 with his wife Jane (1825- ) and their son Clement.
There was another complete change by 1861, when the census shows No 6 occupied by French hairdresser Alexander Muller (1826- ), his wife Marie, born in St Helier in 1833, and their children Leontine, Elisa Albertine, Clemence and Auguste.
By 1871 jeweller Philip Le Geyt (1845- ), the only son of George (1794- ) and Elizabeth Howard, had taken over and lived there with his wife Mary Jane, nee Bishop (1848- ), daughter of William Henry and Elizabeth Ford and two-year-old daughter Clarissa Mary. The couple would have three further children, Philip George, Violet Ernestine and Winifred Marian. As shown above, Philip eventually occupied 2-6 Queen Street where he ran what was variously described as a jewellers or fancy repository. Philip was the grandson of Philip Le Geyt and Elizabeth Le Riolet dit l;Hermite, who married in Trinity in 1780.
The first occupant of this shop we have been able to find was grocer Ann Marsh (1791- ), who was trading there in 1852. The previous year's census shows her as a widowed 'seedswoman', living with two grown-up daughters. The family has left by the 1861 census and been replaced by watchmaker Francis Bertram, born in Grouville in 1830, living with his wife Jane Mary, nee Le Brun (1828- ) (St Peter), mother-in-law Jane Le Brun (1801- ) and son Louis John (1860- ).
Their stay was a brief one, because the 1871 census shows hairdresser A Felix (1842- ) at No 8, supported by 1874 and 1880 trade listings. There is some confusion over the hairdresser's name. The census return shows his forename as Felix, with an unreadable surname, but he always seems to have traded as A Felix, as shown in the advertisement. A Frenchman, he was living with his wife Aurelie (1850- ), sister-in-law Francine and niece Leonie.
The 1881 census shows nobody living at the property and by 1886 it has been taken over by tobacconist W C Shave, who moved across the street to No 1 in 1890, to take over from J J Shave. Their family tree suggests that William Charles Shave and Joseph John Shave were cousins. William (1845-1922) was married to Sarah Ann Reid (1838- ) and is shown in the 1891 census living at No 8 with their son Harold (1890- ). Between 1895 and 1900 the premises were taken over by A J Gale, followed by J E Dore, A Le Brocq, C Moreau, the Lace Shop in 1950, the French Shop in 1960, Wetheralls in 1970 and jewellers M R Emmanuel into the 21st century.
Jewellery outlets continue today further up Queen Street with H Samuel at Nos 10 and 12. Hairdresser J Marsh and grocer Thomas Baker were at No 10 in 1833, followed by optician Peter Taroni, born in Italy in 1895, and living at No 10 with his Jersey-born wife Emilie. They were still there in 1861 and in 1871 a jewellery business was being run by his son Charles (1832- ), living with his wife Ann (1832- ), his widowed mother, and son Charles (1858- ) a watch maker.
In 1874 the premises were occupied by haberdashers Belford and Renouf. The 1881 census shows tobacconist James Francis Belford (1839- ) living there with his wife Elizabeth Marguerite, nee Renouf (1856- ). He was the son of James Belford and Harriet Lane and there was presumably some family connection between his wife and the haberdasher Renouf in 1874. Elizabeth was his second wife. He was previously married to Ann Mary Renouf. Elizabeth and Ann were not sisters. Ann Mary was the daughter of Philippe Renouf (1818- ) and Ann Delicia du Fresne (1820- ), of St Martin, and Elizabeth Marguerite was the daughter of of Nicolas and Anne Marie La Gerche, of St Helier.
James Belford was still trading at No 10 in 1886, 1890 and 1895. The next record to show the premises is a 1910 almanac which lists a Mrs Dupard. She was still there in 1920, followed in 1930 by A G Hooper, which became Maison Hooper by 1960. In 1970 a business called Beauty was trading at No 10, followed, as already stated, by H Samual, which occupied Nos 10 and 12 in 2012.
In 1833 J Ereaut was trading here as a boot and shoe maker.
Wine merchant Philip John d'Arthenay (1814- ), born in St Helier, is the next occupant we have been able to find. He was a wine merchant and was living at the premises in 1851 with his English wife Sarah, nee Bell (1819- ). They had two children, Eliza Jane d'Arthenay (1844- ), who is not shown in the census, and must have died in infancy, and Philip Thomas, not born until 1858. He is shown with his parents in the 1861 census. Ten years later the d'Arthenays are shown next door at No 14, and James Belford was trading at No 12. He was still there in 1880, and a No 12½ appears for the first time, with A Amy in business as a hosier.
No 12 appears in a 1852 trade directory, showing Charles Taroni, jeweller, but other records suggest that this must have been a misprint for No 10.
By 1890 the premises had become Larbalestier's Toy Warehouse. The following year's census shows that this was run by Frank Larbalestier, a widow, who was living with his daughter Louise, born two years earlier, and his sisters-in-law Elizabeth and Marguerite Renouf. This was Frank Richard Thomas Larbalestier (1856-1922), born in Southampton, the son of Philip Larbalestier (1830- ) and Harriet Blake (1830-1856). Philip was the brother of Formula 1 champion racing driver Lewis Hamilton's great-grandfather. Frank was married to Elizabeth and Marguerite's sister Amelia, who died in 1889, probably in childbirth, and he later married Elizabeth. Philip and Amelia had two sons born in 1881 and 1886, but they do not appear in the 1891 census.
The toy warehouse was still in business in 1896, and it was followed by The Bazaar in 1905, Automatic Company in 1919, Hipps Ltd from 1930 to 1960, jewellers Time in 1970, before it became part of H Samuel.
Philip d'Arthenay (see above) who apparently moved to No 12, was trading as a tobacconist at No 14 in 1833, and was back there by 1861. It is perhaps more likely that he occupied both premises throughout.
An 1858 advertisement showed Donaldson's English Cheese, Ham and Bacon Store at No 14
Wine merchant G P Perchard was trading at No 14 by 1880, and the property had been divided, with watchmaker jeweller J Payn at No 14½.
'G P' may have been a misprint, or perhaps a relative, because by 1886 the property is listed to C P Perchard, and again in 1890. The 1891 census reveals this to be Charles Perchard (1836- ), who was retired by then. He was living with his wife Susan, nee Payn (1850- ) and brother-in-law Frederick Payn, now running the wine merchants. This explains why F Payn and Mrs J Payn are also shown trading at No 14 in 1886. By 1890 the premises are listed to boot and shoe warehouse owner M Picot (who was trading there as early as 1887), and No 14½ to hosier E A Mitchell. In 1900 E Le Ruez is at 14 and J de la Haye at 14½.
The 1901 census, however, still shows wine merchant Frederick Payn (1848- ) and wife Bella (1866- ) at No 14. He is listed again in a 1905 almanac, but in 1910 J Routier is shown trading from 14, 14½ and 16, but there is no indication of the nature of his business. He was followed in 1930 by J R Howard, founder of Howard's opticians, which is still there today. No 14½ was given as the address in an advertisement for Touzel's tobaccos in 1946.
Draper J Rowland and milliner Mrs Marett were listed here in 1833 and '34. The 1851 census shows goldsmith Wolfe Issachar, born in Plymouth in 1823, living there with his 13-year-old nephew Sam.
By 1852 a trade director shows milliners Gosset and Le Ber trading there. The 1861 census names the milliners resident there than as Jane Lydia Le Ber (1825- ) and her sister Harriet (1827- ); and Rosalie Aubin (1830- ) and her sister Marie (1836- ). The Le Ber sisters were the daughters of estate agent, auctioneer and insurance agent John Le Ber, who was also trading from here in 1857, after moving from the Royal Square. John, who was born in Alderney in 1800, was the husband of Jane Le Cordier (1799- ). They had two other daughters, Mary Ann (1828- ) and Louisa Margaret (1830-1905).
The next mention we have found of No 16 is in the 1881 census, when accountant Edward Osborne, born in Guernsey in 1852 was living there with his wife Elizabeth and children Gertrude (1875- ) and Edward (1877- ).
Draper P Le Maistre was trading here in 1886 and 1890, followed in 1896 by Amy and Baker, another outlet for the predecessor of Frederick Baker and Co across the street. In 1900 A Courbebaisse was shown trading at No 16, followed in 1905 by the Hotel Continental. This was the new name for Grand Hotel du Calvados which relocated after its original building in the Royal Square was destroyed by fire. The Queen Street property stretched through to another entrance in Hill Street. The hotel was trading through to 1920, and after it closed, auctioneer and estate G Le B Benest, who was already trading at No 18, took over his neighbouring property.
This was George Le Bas Benest (1859-1951), who is believed to have taken over the business from his Uncle George Philip Benest (1836-1907), who was shown at No 18 in a 1905 almanac and is believed to have had no children. George was still here in 1930, and in 1940 the business was listed to his sons Cyril John and Philip Labey Benest.
It was then taken over by Langlois, who traded at No 16, and C Le Masurier established a Wine Lodge at No 18. Langlois were followed by Budget Shoes. Today the island's only specialist book shop, Waterstones, is at No 16.
The 1851 census is not clear, but it seems that dressmaker Eliza Coutanche (1828- ) was living there. There is then a gap to 1871, were auctioneer Bernard Hastings was living there. So, too, was James Turpin (1840- ), described as a Post Office civil servant.
This is an indication that Jersey's General Post Office was in Queen Street from 1852 to 1881. George Henry Smith was the postmaster there when it opened.
As stated in the caption to the photograph of the premises at the top of the page, although there is no record of the Grand Hotel du Calvados or Hotel Continental operating at No 18, the hotel name was still on the front of the property in 1936, long after the hotel closed.
Boot and shoe maker Mr Le Seelleur was working here in 1833. By 1851 the premises were occupied by master printer and newspaper publisher Richard Gosset (1820- ), who was living there with his mother Marie, nee Horman (1780- ), widow of Matthieu Gosset, and his sister Ann (1819- ), a bonnet maker. Richard was a bookseller, stationer and printer, but is best remembered as publisher of La Patrie, a french weekly newspaper, published on Saturdays from 1845 to 1852.
He was followed at No 20 by confectioner Thomas Dacombe, born in England in 1825, who lived there with his wife Elvina, nee Baker, born in Guernsey in 1829, children Rhoda Elvina (1851- ) and William Henry (1855- ), and Elvina's widowed mother Elvina (1798- ). The 1871 census shows Constance Flaherty (1841- ), a milliner, living at No 20 with her husband, a steward, their two daughters and two sons. In 1874 milliner Mrs O'Flaherty was trading at No 20, followed in 1880 by grocer E Jones, in 1886 by cabinet makers Fitch and son, in 1890 by Henry Payne Hines (or Hind, or Hine), a cabinet maker and upholsterer born in St Saviour in 1852. Henry, the son of Robert and Mary Payne, was living with his wife Clara (1861- ), daughter Maud (1891- ) and his mother.
By 1900 the premises were occupied by baker and pastry cook Philip John du Heaume, born in St Ouen in 1865, his wife Ada Leonora Matilda, nee de Ste Croix (1867- ) and their children Florence Rosa (1892- ) and Charles Philip (1893- ). They were still there in 1905, and Philippe was followed in business by Charles Philip, until the premises were taken in by Scotch Wool and Hosiery Stores in 1940. The French Consulate operated at No 20 from 1950 to 1970, one of a number of Queen Street properties at which it was located over the years. Today Vision Express trades there.
This property was an inn in 1851, with Sophie Mann (1803- ) in charge, living with her hairdresser son Edwin (1834- ) It is not certain that it was already known as The Exeter then, but it almost certainly was, and the 1861 census confirms the name at that time. See The Exeter for a full history of the inn, which is still open today.
Painter and glazier J Payn was here in 1833-34. The 1851 census records the presence of shoemaker Thomas Le Rossignol, born in St Peter in 1806, assisted in his business by his wife Ann, nee Gumbrell (1811- ) Jane Mary (1836- ), Eliza (1839- ), Emily (1842- ), Mary Ann (1845- ), Ann (1848- ), Peter Thomas (1851- ). Oddly the enumerator has recorded all the children as shoe makers. Peter Thomas must have been a lot of help at the age of four months. We have not been able to trace the family's ancestry; we believe that a leap of 50 years in the Le Rossignol baptisms suggests that there is a page missing from the Jersey Archive folder of St Peter transcriptions.
This property appears to have become an inn by 1861, although we do not know the name. The occupants listed in the census were Jacques Louise, an innkeeper born in France in 1809, married to Nancy, born in Jersey in 1827. They had a daughter Eleanore, born in 1855.
It may be that the inn was elsewhere and the Louise family were simply living at No 24, but the listing of several boarders including blacksmiths, musicians and a shoe maker, lends weight to the probability that the premises were being used as a hotel, perhaps an extension of the Exeter next door. However, the 1851 census also shows Frenchman Victor Fautrac (1803- ) as landlord of No 24, living with his wife Ann (1897- ) and daughter Appoline Euphrasie (1836-1878). Born in St Lo, she would eventually marry Jules Amand Gautier. The census lists a number of individual occupants here, all suggesting that it may bave been a separate establishment to the Exeter.
By 1871 the occupants were Peter Le Blond, a locksmith born in France in 1818 and his wife Mary (1821- ). By 1874 Peter appears to have changed his trade to tobacconist. He was followed by another tobacconist, Philip George Mallet, born in St Lawrence in 1833. He was living with his English-born wife Annie (1839- ) and children Clement (1835- ), Rachel Betsy (1837- ) and John (1840- ). Annie must have been his second wife because baptism registers show the children's mother as Rachel Lesbirel. Also in the household was Philip's 70-year-old mother Mary. She was Mary Elizabeth Allix, who married Philippe Mallet in St Helier in 1828.
The property was divided at this time and No 24½ was occupied by baby linen manufacturers Rosa Aubin (1830- ) and her sister Maria (1836- ). By 1890 H Becker was trading here. The following year's census identifies him as Hermann Becker (1863- ) a nurseryman, florist and fruit grower born in Germany in 1863. He was living with his wife Martha Elizabeth, nee Reeks (1852- ) and children Hermann (1888- ), Stanley Henry (1889- ) and Phylis (1890- ). This was clearly a town outlet for Mr Becker's Caesarean Nurseries, in St Saviour. He also had a shop in Beresford Street.
An 1895 almanac gives the first mention of Henry Allix at No 24, and also of Philip du Heaume, at 24½. As we have already seen, he would later move to No 20, with Henri Ricordeau (1876-1944), a French watchmaker, and his Jersey-born wife Louise, nee Novert (1880-1953) taking his place here in 1900. They then moved to No 54 King Street and were followed by A H Yvon in 1910, J E Blake in 1950 and '60, and then Fior.
Henry Allix, born in St Helier in 1853 was a tobacconist, but he was also a well-known publisher of postcards in the early 20th century. He was married to Sophie Jane, nee Le Sueur (1857-1944) and they had seven children.
Henry did not take the photographs for his cards, as is sometimes erroneously stated, and it is thought that the majority were taken by his French photographer friend J Bienaime, between 1905 and Henry's death in 1914. His business was still being run at No 24 through to 1950, and he had another shop in Mulcaster Street. No 24 was the Record Shop in 1960, followed by Artistique and Jersey Pearl.
Several photographic studios were established in Queen Street over the years, mostly on the opposite side. From 1869 to 1873 C Seeney was at no 16, followed by Guernseyman Adolphus La Sance in 1881.
Grocer W Adams was here in 1834, as well as Joshua Picot, who ran a school. An 1833 commercial directory also shows a public house, Nelson and Jarvis, run by a Mr Hocquard, but we have not been able to find any confirmation of this establishment.
Tin worker Samuel Landick, born in England in 1812 with his wife Mary (1811- ) and five children is shown at 26 in 1851, togehter with haircutter John Luce (1826- ) and his wife Eliza (1827- ), a greengrocer. They were followed in 1861 by tobacconist Richard Worton (1800- ), born in Norfolk, and his English wife Mary (1806- ) and daughter Caroline (1827- ). Also at the premises then was haircutter Jean Amidee Le Maistre (1838- ) the illegitimate son of Elizabeth (1807- ), who was living with his wife Harriet Eliza, born in England in 1832, her three children by a previous marriage, and their son Frederick Amidee (1860- ).
Almanacs for 1874 and 1880 show watchmaker J Baker at 26½. Hairdresser Prosper Dennis (1838- ) was at No 26 in 1891 and 1896, living with his wife Marie (1843- ). A succession of almanac entries fail to identify the types of business being undertaken at 26 or 26½, until the United Services Club became established at 26-30 by 1930, through to 1970. It is now in Halkett Place.
This is another property which was divided into two during the late 19th century. In 1851 it was occupied by fruiterer William Taylor and his wife Rebecca, both born in 1831, and con fectioner Richard Cayzer (1802- ), and his wife Mary (1795- ). In 1871 widow Mary Mallet (1812- ) was living there with her son Philip (1843- ) a tobacconist, and in a second household were watchmaker John Payn (1847- ) and his wife Jane (1848- ). Mr Mallet is shown a tobacconist at No 26 in 1874 and 1880, with Mr Payn at 28½.
Tallow chandler Sarah Burch (1849- ) nee Brand, a widow, is shown at No 28 in the 1881 census, living with her sister Martha (1858- ) a dressmaker, her father William (1823- ) a master mariner, and her sons William and Charles. George Long (1852- ), son of James and Catherine Lally, married Martha and continued the soap tallow business before becoming a grocer by 1891. He and Martha had daughter Mary (1883- ), Nellie (1888- ) and Florrie (1889- ). Martha was running the chandlery business in 1901, having been widowed.
Milliner Jane Rankilor, nee Gallie, born in St Saviour in 1836, and widowed, was at 28½ in 1891, together with her won William (1861- ) and her brother George (1849- ) and two sisters Louisa (1845- ) and Ann (1853- ).
In 1851 No 30 was occupied by William Orviss (1814- ), shown as a master mariner. Ten years later, married to Mary Gosset (1811- ) he was running the first family grocery there, and this continued through to almost 1880, when E Bouillon, bootmaker, was shown as the premises. He was Eugene Bouillon (1834-1905), a leather merchant, from Manche in Normandy, the son of Eugene and Sophie La Pie. He was married to Marie Euphrosnie Leontine (1856-1920) and they had children Eugenie Sophie (1868-1933), who emigrated to New Zealand in 1887, Blanche (1874-1945), Auguste Ernest (1878-1931) and Eugene (1870- ).
The 1901 census and a street listing from the previous year shows James Henry (1822- ) as head of household at No 30, with his wife Caroline (1827- ) and mother-in-law Ellen Darlington (1856- ), a widowed tobacconist.
Chemists Piquet's were here in 1946.
John Renouf (1813- ), a mariner, and his wife Charlotte (1818- ), a grocer were here in 1851, with retired grocer Margaret Gallichan, John's daughters Charlotte, Mary and Eliza, and stepdaughter Charlotte Simon. This suggests that Charlotte was the daughter of Margaret Gallichan and had been married first to a Simon.
Also at the premises were shoemaker Philip Le Cornu (1828- ) and his wife Caroline (1825- ).
By 1861 the premises were home to widowed grocer Anne Coutanche, nee Henry, born in St John in 1806, and her daughters Elise (1837- ) and Jane (1839- ). She was the widow of Josue Coutanche, having married him in St John in 1827, and the daughter of Thomas Henry and Katherine Le Quesne. Also living with her in 1871 was her printer son Joshua, who employed one man and 13 apprentices.
By 1880 the grocery business had been taken over by Eliza Chubb (1821- ), followed in 1891 by draper Alfred Burch (1865- ), living with his wife Eva (1866- ) daughter Grace (1889- ) and son Alfred (1890- ). They were followed in 1896 by J E Binet, in 1900 by Fryer and Co, and in 1901 by butcher Alberd Edward Hillier, born in England in 1873, who lived there with his wife Gerturde, nee Foster (1874- ) and son Albert Edward (1901- ).
The businesses of several occupants in street listings up to 1925 were not recorded. The property was then taken over by Singer and Co., followed in 1950 by Vanity Fayre, which remained there into the 21st century. It is interesting that when Singer move here in 1925 they described the new location as 'more central' than New Cut, which is between King Street and Broad Street
There is no record of No 34 in early censuses. Pork butcher John Cory was shown there in an 1874 almanac, followed by broker R D Plymen in 1896 and 1890, the Phoenix Club, about which little is known, in 1901. It was managed by Edward Jones (1836- ) and his wife Prudence (1865- ), both from England. It was followed in 1905 by Eastman's Ltd, from 1920 to 1940 by L Klein, then for 20 years by B A Fairbairn, and it is now Le Petit Cafe and La Petite Baguette.