Adolphus Curry was born in Jersey in 1848 and left before the age of 13 to attend a grammar school in Shropshire. In 1861 he was one of a number of pupils living in the household of schoolmaster Charles Cooke and his wife Mary Ann, in Market Drayton.
Ten years later he was a student of architecture in Wellingborough, Northants, having already studied in Manchester. He then moved to work in Cardiff, on the docks development before returning to Jersey in 1878.
His father Thomas was a merchant tailor and Adolphus was one of nine children.
After his return to Jersey Curry soon became involved with some very high profile developments and was responsible for designing a new Opera House in Gloucester Street to replace the building destroyed by fire in 1899. The new building opened in 1900.
Ten years earlier Curry had designed the plinth on which the statue of Queen Victoria would stand at the Weighbridge for nearly a century, before moving to West Park, and he also designed the pedestal for the memorial to St Helier Constable Philippe Baudains in Parade Gardens.
He went on to design such major buildings as Highlands College, the Victoria Club in Beresford Street, which is now being turned into a restaurant, the Jersey Ladies College in Rouge Bouillon, Midland Bank in Library Place, the Jersey Railway terminus building at the Weighbridge, St Paul's Church, the Sacre Coeur orphanage, and also Peel Terrace, the Halkett Hotel, and the Mount in Old St John's Road.
Curry was not only involved with the design of new buildings, and such innovations as lighting and air conditioning systems, but as an active member of La Société Jersiaise he was concerned with the restoration of such historic buildings as Mont Orgueil Castle, St Saviour's Parish Church and St Ouen's Manor.
Adolphus Curry, who was affectionally known to family and friends as 'Dodd' married Beatrice Cookson. They had four children, Beatrice, Adolphus, Doris and Herbert. Herbert emigrated to Ontario, Canada, in 1911, as did Adolphus jnr's son Robert Montague some years later. Adolphus Curry died in 1910 at the age of 62. He is buried in the cemetery at St Saviour's Church, his grave marked by a small pink paving stone hardly befitting such an eminent architect.
Gallery of Curry's work
Click on any image to see a full-size version