Ashley Court, St John
Les Chenolles, St John
Type of property
Farm group including an early single-storey cottage, an early 18th century house, and a fine early 19th century house, which retains most of its impressive features
- DA 1725 for David Anley, Constable of St John, who built the 18th century house. Foundation stone.
- 17 DA IA 41 for David Anley and his wife Jeanne, nee Pallot. David was a merchant, Captain in the Militia South Regiment, and Constable of St John, 1737-1765
- TA 1718 MM for Thomas Anley and Marguerite Mauger, parents of David. In the 1980s an inscribed door lintel was discovered under 19th century render of an older house. It is now above a window
Families associated with the property
- During the German Occupation the property was occupied by the Rondel and Le Cornu families
- Nicolle - the second volume of Old Jersey Houses records this family's ownership of the property, but does not mention who and when
- Neel - OJH records the ownership of P Neel, Constable of St John (1870-1882) The book wrongly gives Philippe Neel's dates as Constable from 1870 to 1909. He died in 1901, but was only Constable up to 1882. Surprisingly little is known about the man who served as Constable for 12 years, but we have been able to establish that he died at Ashley Court on 23 July 1901 at the age of 84 years 8 months.
With this information and reference to church records we have been able to establish that he was born in Trinity in 1816 the twin son of Jean and Marguerite, nee Le Quesne. His ancestry can be traced back to the mid-17th century in Descendants of Jean Neel, a new tree added to Jerripedia in 2020.
This is confirmed by the 1901 census which shows 84-year-old Philip Neel as a farmer and head of household at Ashley Court weeks before his death. He was living with his wife Jane, nee Picot (1825- ) and their son Philip (1852- )
Historic Environment Record entry
A high quality farm group comprising an historical succession of interesting buildings, including an early single storey cottage (now farm storage), superseded by second early 18th century house, in turn superseded by a fine early 19th century house, which retains most of its impressive features including large elegant cantilevered staircase, mahogany doors, panelling and shutters to windows, and marble fire surrounds.
Best known for apple orchards and cider making in the past. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The farmstead architecture displays the importance and prosperity of Jersey’s historic family-based farming. Farmsteads make a major contribution to the distinctive character of Jersey. Their siting in the landscape relates to the way in which the Island has been settled through history, and the overall scale, form and character of Jersey’s farmsteads is the result of their historical function and development to the present day.
Old Jersey Houses
A brief mention in the second volume of the work refers only to the varieties of cider apples grown there and two of the occupants. The house and buildings are not mentioned.
Notes and references