Blanchard House in 1953
If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Grande Route des Augerez, St Peter
Type of property
Two-storey 1830s house
The property was sold for £2.4 million in 2008
Families associated with the property
- Blanchard: The house was almost certainly named after a Blanchard family, but it is not known which one and when. The family is believed to have arrived in Jersey as refugees from France around 1700. Strangely there are no baptism, marriage or burial records for any Blanchard in St Peter.
- Du Val: Jean du Val (1838- ), his wife Anna Rachel, nee Blampied, sons William and Moses, and John's mother Nancy, nee Blampied, are shown living in and farming at Blanchard House in the 1891 census
- Dupré: Ten years later the census showed farmer Edward (Edouard) Dupre (1825- ) and his wife Elise, nee Balleine (1844- ), living here with their son John (1874- ) and daughter Florence (1880- ), and four domestic servants: Louisa Robert, Louisa Le Feuvre, Francois Mahe and Edward Bourke
- Rice: Returning to Jersey after the German Occupation the Rice family found that their principal home, Egypt Farm, Trinity, had been destroyed. Although Blanchard House, their second home, had also been commandeered by German forces, it was in a better condition. In 1941 household items from the house were moved to Government House by the Germans
- Le Quesne: The property is now owned by the Le Quesne family
Historic Environment Record entry
Good example of circa 1830s house with ancillary outbuildings. The house is of late Georgian style. The principal south elevation is notable for its Ionic porch with decorative cornice and large pineapple finials (the symbol of hospitality).
The site includes a group of ancillary outbuildings appearing to date variously from the early-late 19th century. Adjoining to the east of the house is a single-storey range of ancillary rooms with a pitched slate roof and a tall chimneystack of matching detailing to the house.
To the north of the house is a detached range of single-storey granite outbuildings. These outbuildings are significant for their association with the main house but are utilitarian in nature and do not have interior features of interest. The site includes the yards to the rear of the property and the front garden and driveway, which are intrinsic to the setting of the property.
Old Jersey Houses