If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue de la Blanche Pierre, Trinity.
Type of property
Granite farmhouse with 16th century origins, to judge by a datestone inscribed 1581, potentially the second oldest in the island, which disappeared in the late 20th century.
The property was sold for £1,693,320 in 2018.
- PR GS 1764 - this engraving, not otherwise mentioned, is included in the Jersey Datestone Register. It is on an arch capstone. It has not been connected to any family, but a branch of the Richardsons lived in the parish at that time, as did various Romerils. It is likely that the letters on the stone have been misread.
- 1581 - A stone with this date, formerly associated with the property, appears to have disappeared. It is not mentioned in the Register.
Families associated with the property
The property was owned in the 19th century by a branch of the de Gruchys. Jean de Gruchy (1795-1862) and his wife, Jeanneton, née Blampied ( -1873), were living and farming here in 1851. The couple were non-conformists, whose children were baptised in one of the Island`s evangelical churches. Their son, Jean junior, a carpenter, inherited the house and farm on the death of his father. A third Jean, his son, born in 1854, was a Master Mariner.
Historic Environment Record entry
An important early Jersey house of likely circa 16th century origins, with evidence of later build phases in 17th and 18th century. The property once included a stone inscribed 1581, now lost, which was (apart from the 1580 stone at Handois) the earliest dated stone on a domestic property. Prehistoric evidence on site in form of large stone, presumed to be a menhir or ruined megalithic monument, which gives the house its name. The house displays Jersey’s vernacular tradition in the use of local materials and details. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Old Jersey Houses
There are elements of the property which can be dated to the second half of the 18th century, but a datestone was previously present with the date 1581. This was the second oldest stone on a Jersey house, but it has vanished.