Bois family page
The Bois family, which settled in St Saviour, arrived in the island from Normandy in the first 30 years of the 19th century.
Capt Francis John Bois, c1895
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Bois is French for wood, and the name either derives from a dweller in the woods or from a resident of one of many French hamlets called Du Bois. The name is common in Normandy either as Bois or Dubois, and records go as far back as Girardus de Bosco in 1198, with Richard de Bois and Ernaut du Bois both recorded in 1261/1266. There are records of du Boiz and du Boys in the 14th century.
In Jersey there are records of du Bois and du Boys baptisms in St Helier from the early 17th century.
The distinct Bois family, which settled in St Saviour, arrived in the island from Normandy in the first 30 years of the 19th century.
There was also a Bois who died while visiting Jersey in the 17th century and is buried at St Saviour's Parish Church, but it is not known whether he has any connections to the Bois family which established later in Jersey.
- de Bois
- de Boiz
- du Bois
- du Boiz
- du Boys
Jersey family trees
- Descendants of Jean du Bois
- Descendants of Francois Bois
- Descendants of Abraham du Bois
- Descendants of Thomas Rupert du Bois NEW
- Bois baptisms in Jersey
- Bois marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Bois marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Bois burials in Jersey
- Du Bois baptisms in Jersey
- Du Bois marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Du Bois marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Du Bois burials in Jersey
- Dubois baptisms in Jersey
- Dubois marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Dubois marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Dubois burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Elie Charles Auguste du Bois (1888-1952) (St B) Private, Essex Regiment
- Emile Edmund du Bois (1893-1966) (St B) husband of Marie Suzanne Philomene, Private, Labour Corps
These wills created by members of the Bois family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Bois : Ann , St Saviour - 08/Jul/1893 , 29/Mar/1895 , D/Y/A/54/32
- Bois : Beatrice Elaine , Elfington House, St Saviour 26/01/1946 Bequeaths to the work of the Time and Talent Guild in Bermondsey £50 - Unknown date , 14/Nov/1947 , D/Y/A/118/105
- Bois : Charles Albert , Le Chalet, Pontac, St Clement 8/02/1997 Bequeaths to Mary Ann Bas, Le Chalet, Pontac - Unknown date , 07/Mar/1947 , D/Y/A/117/70
- Bois : Francis John , Alphington House, St Saviour 30/05/1921 Bequeaths to Francis L'Isle Bois the property Alphington House and the silver salver and preservation book given to him by the inhabitants of Jersey in recognition of services during the Great War; to Avice Marguerite Bois the property Waverley Lodge, St Saviours Road, St Saviour; to Beatrice Elaine Bois the property Claremount Cottage, St Helier Revokes the sale of Claremont Cottage - Unknown date , 02/Sep/1924 , D/Y/A/84/100
- Bois : Francois , of St Saviour 21/10/1875 Bequeaths to Virginie Daniel a £50 Russian bond of 5%, to Mary Bois a £50 Russian bond of 5%, to Anne Bois a £50 Russian - Unknown date , 25/Apr/1876 , D/Y/A/39/26
- Du Bois : Cyril Thomas , of 16, Clos de Quennevais, St Brelade - 22/Nov/1976 , 08/Sep/1980 , D/Y/B1/330/21
- du Bois : Emile Edmund , of Le Hurel, La Pulente, St Brelade - 19/Oct/1968 , 19/Oct/1968 , D/Y/B1/125/24
- Du Bois : Jane , 2 Tynemouth Terrace, St Helier, widow of Edward Le Couteur - 17/Jun/1905 , 20/May/1908 , D/Y/A/67/58
- Du Bois : Jean , ... - 25/Aug/1740 , 24/May/1742 , D/Y/A/7/55
- Du Bois : Jeanne , of St Helier 07/08/1807 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £4 of the order of the King - Unknown date , 27/Apr/1808 , D/Y/A/17/79
- du Bois : Jeanne , of St Peter, now of St Helier : 28/07/1860 Bequeaths to the poor of St Peter £2 - Unknown date , 26/Feb/1885 , D/Y/A/44/103
- Du Bois : Marie , of St Lawrence 30/05/1831 Desires to be buried in St Lawrence Cemetery - Unknown date , 31/May/1834 , D/Y/A/23/17
- du Bois : Marie Adele , widow of Louis Auguste Jouanne, of Beau Regard, Haute Croix, St John - 30/Apr/1947 , 09/Jul/1955 , D/Y/B1/31/35
- du Bois : Mary Ann , Altona House, St Marks Road, St Helier - 26/Feb/1919 , 13/Jul/1922 , D/Y/A/82/90
- Du Bois : Nicolas , 05/05/1780 Bequeaths to the poor of St Peter, £2 of the order of the King - Unknown date , 10/Nov/1781 , D/Y/A/13/44
- Du Bois : Pierre , of St Peter, now of St Helier 09/12/1828 Bequeaths to the poor, £50 of the old French currency - Unknown date , 29/Apr/1831 , D/Y/A/22/15
- Du Bois : Thomas , of St Helier 19/07/1825 Bequeaths to the poor of St Peter, £2 of French currency - Unknown date , 07/Mar/1827 , D/Y/A/20/81
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling