If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Notre Dame de St Martin
Grande Route de Faldouet, St Martin
Type of property
Row of early 19th century cottages
Branksome sold for £350,000 in 1009. In February 2011 the property must have been divided because Branksome and Seaview sold for £1 million. Nine months later Branksome sold for £500,000
Families associated with the property
Historic Environment Record entry
A row of early-mid 19th century cottages, with the unusual addition of upper Gothic windows marking the location of a former Roman Catholic chapel. Historical associations with the construction of St Catherine's Breakwater and the Irish community in the mid-19th century.
The row of single storey cottages was raised to two storeys in the 1850s when converted into a Roman Catholic chapel and school for the Irish workers brought to Jersey to build the breakwater; a precursor to more permanent Roman Catholic chapels built from the 1860s onwards.
Built by Father E Hallum, a former chaplain in the French army who had come to Jersey in 1847 for the sake of his health, the chapel and school were completed by 1855. The cottages are constructed of rubble granite at ground floor and brickwork above. Branksome retains a Georgian six-panel door with decorative fanlight. The Gothic pointed arch windows on the upper floor mark the location of the chapel.