If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Rue du Crocquet, St Aubin
Type of property
St Aubin merchant's house
- FB MM 1719 - this stone is not recorded in Old Jersey Houses or the Jersey Datestone Register. It is possible that it represents Francois Berthelot and Marie Mauger, of St Brelade, who married in St Helier in 1704.
Historic Environment Record entry
Burlington House has an early history and fabric from various periods of its development. The house was given a grander style in the late 20th century, but remains an integral part of the High Street and contributes to its townscape value. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Although the exterior finish of the house is largely a 20th century addition, the property is of historical significance with an early history. McCormack Channel Island Houses identifies build phases for the house from the 16th century onwards. Chapter 15, on the town of St Aubin, notes: "Nothing now appears to be older than Elizabethan times, the most complete survival being La Maison Carteret. Another house not much later is Burlington House, and there are fragments of similar age in the fabric of Laurel House and the upper gable end of Ty Anna."
The house was heightened by one storey in 1719 (a datestone recording ). McCormack also dates the hall and parlour fireplaces to the 18th century, and a chamber fireplace to circa 1600, along with a tourelle stair and some early beams and joists.
The doorway has exposed granite dressings, chamfered, which suggest the origins of the building lie in the 17th century.
Old Jersey Houses
The author knew this street well, but despite this house having a history going back to the 16th century, failed to include it in either volume