It is thought that it was built in 1754, for Daniel Venement and Rachel Amy, who married two years earlier, as evidenced by the datestone over the front door reading 17 DVM ♥ RAM 54.
The property then passed by marriage to the Gaudins. Over the door of a side building is a datestone inscribed 18 DGD ♥♥ MVM 10, which stands for David Gaudin and Marie Venement. David was a native of St Martin and he and Marie were parents of Daniel Gaudin, who was Constable of St Clement from 1839 to 1842.
By 1849 the house had passed to the Le Neveu family, J Le Neveu being shown as occupant on the Godfray map. This was Jean Le Neveu, who was Constable of St Clement from 1854 to 1860. Mrs Stevens refers to three members of the Le Neveu family having been Constable, but it is thought that the first, also Jean, who was Constable from 1810 to 1813, served a second term from 1820 to 1823. He was the grandfather of the Jean who owned Chambard in 1849.
Notes and references
- ↑ OJH II, 108