Chateaubriand

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Chateaubriand, St Martin


MB20Chateaubriand1988.jpg




This photograph of Chateaubriand was taken in 1988 by Jerripedia editor Mike Bisson and used on the cover of his book Islands in Bloom

Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

Chateaubriand

Location

Rue de Guillaume et d'Anneville, St Martin

Type of property

Early 19th century farmhouse and associated buildings

Valuations

The house was sold for £2.9 million in 2009

Families associated with the property

Datestones

CHB♥EPL 1751 - For Clement Hubert and Elizabeth Pallot, who married in St Martin in 1733







  • 18 FCB 08 - For Frederic de Chateaubriand

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Historic farm group including c1808 farmhouse with parts dating back to mid-18th century. Retains historic character and some original features, in a picturesque setting. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Main house two-storey, six-bay with smaller house to east.

Old Jersey Houses

"In a commanding position above Anne Port, and looking over to the coast of France, is a standard Jersey farmhouse with this unexpected name. Count Armand de Chateaubriand, cousin of the poet Francois Rene, came to live in Jersey, from where he assisted d'Auvergne with La Correspondance, the secret service operating from Mont Orgueil with the Chouan Royalists.
"In 1795 he married Jeanne Le Brun, daughter of George and Marie, nee Hubert, and it seems highly likely that the farm passed through the female line from Hubert, to Le Brun, and then to Chateaubriand.
"Armand had two children, Jeanne, who died young, and Frederic, born in 1803. Armand was arrested and shot in Paris in 1809, and one must assume that his widow, who lived until 1859, put up on the house she had inherited, the initials of her young, fatherless son. [2]
"It is quite possible that the Chateaubriands actually built the 1808 house on to the smaller 1751 cottage, and the mother may have felt it wise to get her son's ownership firmly incised in the house, with her husband engaged in such dangerous work."

Notes and references

  1. The house was owned by the Messervy family in the 20th century. In 1941 it was occupied by John William Messervy (1873- ) and his wife Lydia, nee Billot (1878- ) and their son John William (1907- )
  2. Frederic died in 1849, ten years before his mother.
H20Chateaubriand2.jpg
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs