Origins of surname
This is an Anglo-Saxon name derived from cyrice = 'church' and hyll = hill, giving rise to a number of locations in Somerset, Oxfordshire and Worcestershire bearing the name Churchill. So the original holder(s) of the surname are likely to have come from one of other of these places, rather than simply to have lived near a church on a hill.
There is also a Devon Churchill, originally known as 'Curcheswille', which translates as the spring on the hill.
The name first appears in Jersey church records from 1709 to 1712, with the baptisms of three children of Joseph and Rachel Corneille, in St Ouen. There is then a gap of over a century before Charles and an unknown Mary have three children baptised in St Helier. THere are then baptisms of the children of Charles and Mary Atkinson (perhaps the same couple) in St Lawrence.
There is no sign of any of these families having survived for long in Jersey. Present-day Churchills are believed to be descended from a Somerset family which arrived in Jersey via Guernsey (see tree below).
- Churchill baptisms in Jersey
- Churchill marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Churchill marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Churchill burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Samuel George Churchill (1879-1916) (St H) son of son of Samuel George and Emma Journeaux (newspaper report says Joseph) Private, RAMC, killed in action
- Walter Francis Henry Churchill, son of George Francis and Amelia Elizabeth (1873-1918) AbleSeaman Mercantile Marine, ss Whorlton, lost when ship sank
- Albert Sidney Churchill (1891- ) (St H) son of Samuel George and Emma Journeaux, Able seaman RN, HMS Diligence
- Hector Churchill, husband of Elizabeth of St B, L-Sgt, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment
- James Churchill (1868- ) Mercantile Marine
- James George Churchill (1895- ) (St H) son of Joseph Samuel and Eliza Gunton, Private, Labour Corps
- Thomas George Churchill (1893- ) (St H) son of Joseph Samuel and Eliza Gunton, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery
These wills created by members of the Churchill family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Churchill : Hilda May , formerly wife of Eric Robert Edwards and widow of Frederick John Kemlo and Stephen Albert Beavis, of Les Arbres, Grouville - 20/Sep/1973 , 04/Nov/1974 , D/Y/B1/213/19
- Churchill : Mary , of St Helier, widow of William Wright and Samuel Tozer - 05/Mar/1850 , 06/Jan/1853 , D/Y/A/28/1
- Churchill : Reginald Mons , of 7, St Peter's Arsenal Estate, St Peter - 03/Sep/1980 , 03/Sep/1980 , D/Y/B1/329/39
- Churchill : Roseana Mary , 10 Lempriere Street, St Helier, spinster 11/02/1928 Bequeaths residue of personal estate equally to The Jersey Blind Society and The Home for Infirm and Aged Women - Unknown date , 24/Jun/1932 , D/Y/A/93/34
- Churchill : Samuel George , 54 St Saviours Road - 20/Sep/1917 , 04/Apr/1922 , D/Y/A/82/43
- Churchill : Thomas George , of 2, Hampton Place, Parade, St Helier - 21/Jul/1965 , 21/Jul/1965 , D/Y/B1/88/40
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form