Clifton

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Clifton, St Martin


H21CliftonStMt1.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

Clifton

Other names

  • East Cottage
  • The Press

Location

Rue du Villot, St Martin

Type of property

19th century house and 17th century cottage

Valuations

No recent transactions for any parts of the property

Families associated with the property

Richardson

Datestones

  • 18 PRCS ELS 46 - For Philippe Richardson of St Martin and Elizabeth Le Sueur of St Saviour who married in St Helier on 16 July 1825[1]
  • Le Brun: The property passed by marriage to the Le Brun family. Philippe and Elizabeth had no sons and their elder daughter Susan Elizabeth married John Le Brun (1823-1891) in about 1852. Their son John Richardson Le Brun married Elizabeth Dorey de La Haye in St Saviour in 1876. Their son Claude Clarence Richardson Le Brun (1884- ) was living at Clifton in 1941 with his wife Violet Isabella, nee Lakeman (1904- ) and their children John Claude (1928- ) and Marguerite Violet Elizabeth (1930- )

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A mid-19th century house, with proportions and historic features illustrative of its period, and adjoining East Cottage of mid-17th century origins, retaining historic character. Together they form a fine grouping which contributes to the setting.

The main house dates to circa 1860, but the East Cottage goes back to about 1650. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Line of dwellings with west gable to road. Three-bay two-storey house with attic and basement - with single storey, single bay west wing and single storey, three-bay East Cottage. Further east is The Press, built in the 1980s on the site of old outbuildings.

On Rue du Villot is an inset entrance gateway with squared granite walls, granite coping and a pair of tall rusticated gate piers with acorn finials, the south pillar and adjoining wall under the separate ownership of The Press.

Interior interest includes 17th century clay hood moulding over the fireplace in the east gable of East Cottage.

Old Jersey Houses

Not included, despite age of The Cottage

Notes and references

  1. The datestone register records this stone on a roadside wall on Rue des Côtils
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs