Corn Market

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Corn Market, St Helier


CornMarket.jpg





Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

RoyalSquare1859-1900.jpg

Property name

Corn Market

Other names

  • United Club
  • Registry Office

Location

Royal Square, St Helier

Type of property

Former corn market, later a bank and now the ground floor houses Jersey's Registry Office. First floor is a gentlemen's club

Families associated with the property

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A 19th century building with a distinguished frontage, incorporating the 17th century Corn Market, and providing one of the key sides to Royal Square at the heart of St Helier. The building incorporates the old Corn Market (Halle a Ble) with rooms above, that was built by the Dame de la Haule in 1668.

Shown on the Peter Meade Map 1737, and Le Gros Map 1834. Early photographs show 1825 [1]on pediment - the likely date that the original 17th century building was redesigned with a classical façade.

Heraldry and coat of arms at centre flanked by scrolls.

Parts of the old corn market are incorporated into the current building, including massive granite arches at ground floor - supporting the upper floors. A pair of impressive granite fireplaces in traditional style, although not original to the building.

Old Jersey Houses

The entry in the first volume quotes E T Nicolle's Town of St Helier

"The corn Market, originally a wooden shed constructed early in the 16th century, was situated at the bottom of the Square. In 1668 the States proposed to erect a more commodious building and as a portion of the old shed had been built on ground belonging at that time to one Susanne Dumaresq, Dame de la Haule, a curious agreement was arrived at between the States and this lady, whereby she agreed to construct the Market on the condition that she be permitted to build on the roof thereof for her own use and that of her heirs. In order to support the building she intended to erect on the market roof she set up the fine and massive granite arches, which are still to be seen and were brought to light in 1900."

More pictures

Notes and references

  1. More likely 1823
W20UnitedClubRoyalSquare.jpg
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs