Cotard family page
The family is found mainly as Costard in Jersey records
Francois Costard, son of Jean and Susanne Martel, was baptised in St Helier in 1815
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This French name either comes from the old Norman cote = cabin, signfying someone who lived in a cabin, or it is a variant of Costard, French slang for 'head'.
The Cotard family first arrived in Jersey in the 1890s. Jean Louis Cotard and Anna Pecheur had five children in St Lawrence between 1893 and 1908. The name is found most frequently in the Ille et Villaine and Morbihan departments of Brittany.
However, the Jersey Costard family arrived in the island about a century earlier.
Great War service
- Percival Richard Costard (1876- ) (St H) son of James and Dinah, RNAS, Aircraft Mechanic RAF
These wills created by members of the Costard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Costard : Caroline Mary Ann , 2 Gordon Place, Beach Road, St Saviour, widow of Captain George William Nutbeam - Unknown date , 12/Dec/1917 , D/Y/A/77/53
- Costard : Clara Lee , of Sandybrook Home, St Peter Bequeaths to Nora Mary Matthews, widow of Percival Richard Costard, the life enjoyment of the property Sunny Villa, St Clement's Road, St Saviour; to Richard John Costard and Percival Robin Costard, the reversionary ownership of the aforesaid property - 03/May/1951 , 29/Apr/1954 , D/Y/B1/24/30
- Costard : Edward , ... - 24/Oct/1888 , 07/Sep/1891 , D/Y/A/50/72
- Costard : James Edward , 5 Colomberie, St Helier 7/01/1914 Bequeaths to the property 18 Dorset Street, St Helier; to Sidney Herbert Costard the property 5 Colomberie and everything connected with his business of Bookseller, stationer and printer; to Clara Lee Costard the properties Sunnyvilla and Glengary, St Saviour - Unknown date , 23/Jun/1917 , D/Y/A/76/100
- Costard : Jeanne Marie , Clearview, Trinity, widow of Pierre Marie Audrain and Alexandre Renaut - 29/Apr/1903 , 18/Dec/1905 , D/Y/A/64/115
- Costard : Percival Richard , of Sussex later of Sunny Villa, St Clement's Road, St Saviour - 12/Dec/1945 , 09/Jun/1950 , D/Y/B1/5/46
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs