De Carterets of St Ouen, St Brelade and St Saviour
A family history by the Rev J A Messervy, translated from the French by Mike Bisson
Gaps in Armorial
Several important branches of the de Carteret family, whose history is so intimately linked to that of Jersey, were left aside or treated as of negligible importance in Payne's Armorial of Jersey.
For example, the de Carterets of Grouville who were descended from Helier de Carteret, third son of Francois de Carteret, Seigneur of la Hague, Jurat 1627-51, etc.
The de Carterets of Grouville, heirs of the principal branch of the Jutize family, are now represented by the descendants of the late Cyrus Boyle Brohier and his wife Susanne Filleul.
Another de Carteret family, equally neglected by the Armorial, settled in St John, probably at Buttes, and provided Constables of the parish. It was founded by Edouard de Carteret, successively Viscount, Solicitor-General and Attorney-General (1561), the son of Bailiff Hélier de Carteret.
There were, simultaneously, other families in St John of the same name, but perhaps of different origin.
Descendants of Pierre de Carteret
It is the families living near St Ouen’s Church, St Brelade and St Saviour which concern us today. They descended from Pierre de Carteret, Jurat and Lieut-Bailiff, 1532, who was one of the younger sons of Philippe de Carteret, Seigneur of St Ouen in 1495, and Marguerite Harleston.
According to the Armorial, this Pierre de Carteret only had one son, George, who died without children. Acts of the Royal Court demonstrate the contrary. Three principal branches are descended from Jurat Pierre de Carteret, or his son George, who the Armorial says died without children.
- 1 That from near St Ouen’s Church – La Caroline – This family, which gave Constables to the Parish of St Ouen, has been extinct for about two centuries.
- 2 That of St Brelade, founded by Richard de Carteret, son of Helier, younger son of the George de Carteret mentioned above. Richard de Carteret sold his inheritance from his St Ouen ancestors and settled at Franc-fief in St Brelade, where he had constructed a house on land acquired from Jacques Pipon, of La Moie, his maternal uncle. It was probably this house which was sold on 10 October 1718, to Abraham Benest and his wife Marie de Carteret, by Jean de Carteret, son of Richard, son of Pierre. This Jean was the main heir of his brother Charles.
- 3 That of St Saviour, founded by Richard de Carteret, son of Edouard, Solicitor-General of Jersey in 1606. An article was devoted to him in the 1893 Bulletin. Richard de Carteret, son of Edouard, sold to Jean Nicolle, son of Clement, on 24 November 1604, his house and land, which had been inherited from his mother, daughter of Jean Le Ray, partly situated in St Martin on the Fiefs Lempriere and d’Anneville, and partly in Grouville.
Maison du Roux
He purchased in about 1602 from the Lemprieres of St Saviour, Maison du Roux, for a quarter of wheat rente per vergée. Maison du Roux belonged to the de Carterets until 20 December 1752, when it was sold to the Hardy family by Jean de Carteret. The house had this name because it formerly belonged to the Le Roulx family. Jeanette Le Roulx, daughter and heir of Guillaume Le Roulx, Jurat 1495, married Clement Lempriere, son of Thomas, of St Jean La Hougue Boete.
Richard de Carteret purchased on 12 October 1605 from Jean Dumaresq (son of Bailiff Jean Dumaresq) owner through the inheritance from Philippe Lempriere, son of Hugh, of Maison du Roux, the fiefs of La Houguette at St Saviour and Besnard.
The Fief de la Houguette at St Saviour was sold by Jean de Carteret, son of Jean, on 6 March 1703, to Charles Dumaresq (who became Jurat and Lieut-Bailiff) for his son Guillaume Dumaresq.
This third branch is also probably extinct in the male line.