Denize family page
Philippe Denize (1809- ), his wife Catherine Gibaut, and their son Philippe
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This surname, which is well known in Normandy, is derived from 'Denise' the feminine form of the personal name Denis'. Early records generally use the spelling 'Denise', later changing to 'Denize'.
Guillaume Denize (1615- ) St Ouen m (1640) Sara Le Broq, d of Thomas
Denize in St Lawrence
The family lived in Saint Lawrence, owning the small fief ès Neveux at the top of Mont Felard for six centuries. According to family tradition, Charles II gave a garden party in one of the fields of Jourdain Denize, which was renamed Clos du Ray in the king's honour and he granted the family the right to call their house a manor house. The family only extended to two branches, referred to in parish records as Denize de Haut and Denize de Bas. Both the fief and the modest manor house were owned by the de Haut family until Edouard, Constable and the last male heir, died at the end of the 19th Century.
The de Bas family owned a farm in La Rue de Haut named Les Peupliers, after Philippe Denize had planted a number of poplar trees. Many descendants of this branch now live in New Zealand.
- Denise, 1331
- Denize, 1759
- Descendants of Jourdain Denize
- Descendants of Pierre Denize
- Descendants of Jacques Denize
- Descendants of Jean Denize
- Descendants of Michel Denize, St Ouen family
Great War service
- Frederick A Denize (1894- ) (St H) L-Corporal, Royal West Kent Regiment, wounded
- Philip Blampied Denize (1892- ) (St H) Driver, RASC
- Reginald Denize (1896- ) (St H), Driver, RFA
- Philippe James Denize (Gsy), Jersey parents, Private, RGLI, wounded
- Alexander Francis Denize (1890- ) (Gr) Son of Alexander and Elizabeth, Gunner, RFA
These wills created by members of the Denize family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Denize : Annie Louisa Denize Esnouf , formerly known as Annie Louisa Denize Esnouf, of Le Manoir du Fief-es-Neveux, Felard, St Lawrence - 09/Sep/1941 , 20/Feb/1951 , D/Y/B1/8/48
- Denize : Douglas Francis , of No 2, Grasett Park Flats, Georgetown, St Saviour - 14/May/1979 , 14/May/1979 , D/Y/B1/300/5
- Denize : Edouard , ... - 13/Jan/1894 , 26/Apr/1895 , D/Y/A/54/47
- Denize : Elizabeth , ... - 15/Sep/1827 , 20/Oct/1827 , D/Y/A/20/101
- Denize : Jean , of St Lawrence - 01/Sep/1758 , 08/Nov/1762 , D/Y/A/10/93
- Denize : Jessie also known as , Duchess of Leinster, of Waterfall, Daljosaphat, Cape Province, South Africa - 24/Jan/1956 , 07/Mar/1961 , D/Y/B1/63/34
- Denize : John Francis Esnouf , Denize Farm, St Lawrence - 11/Jun/1927 , 17/May/1941 , D/Y/A/108/25
- Denize : Marie , ... - 20/Jan/1693 , 01/Jan/1693 , D/Y/A/2/45
- Denize : Philippe , St Helier - 28/Nov/1919 , 22/Mar/1937 , D/Y/A/100/62
- Le Manoir du Fief ès Neveux, St Lawrence
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs