Denton family page
The St Brelade record of the baptism of Jean Denton in 1710
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Various places in England, from Yorkshire south, were named Denton, from the old English denu = 'valley' and tun = 'farm' or 'settlement'; ie the settlement in the valley. THis became a family name as early as the 10th century.
This is one of those surnames which have been present in Jersey for a long time - the first Denton baptisms were registered at the turn of the 16th/17th centuries, yet has never been numerous. Only 29 baptisms are on record since the first in 1688, and it is doubtful whether any of the Dentons in Jersey today can trace their ancestry back to the earliest family.
- Descendants of Thomas Denton
- Descendants of John Denton
- Descendants of John Denton and Jane Le Masurier
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Benjamin Denton (1870-1953) (St H) son of Robert Henry and Melina Mortimer, Chief Petty Officer RN, HMS Egmont
These wills created by members of the Denton family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Denton : Aubrey Robert Owen , of Treetops, Rue des Chenes, St Helier and formerly of Woodlands, Rue des Varvots, St Lawrence - 28/Jul/1965 , 16/May/1972 , D/Y/B1/174/27
- Denton : Thomas , ... - 11/Jan/1747 , 24/Jun/1755 , D/Y/A/9/10
- Denton : Thomas , of St Brelade 12/06/1769 Desires to be buried in the Church or Cemetery of St Brelade Bequeaths to the poor of St Brelade, £12 sterling - Unknown date , 24/Jan/1770 , D/Y/A/12/3