Alexander Douglas, born in St Helier in 1843, emigrated to Queensland, Australia, where he became a police chief, before retiring and moving back to England
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname has its origins in the lands of Douglas, south of Glasgow, derived from the Gaelic dubh = 'black' and glas = 'stream'.
Although other families have passed through Jersey, it was the descendants of Robert Douglas and Anna Maria Ashenhurst who were the main family to become established in the island throughout the 19th century.
Great War service
- William Sholto Douglas (1876-1914) (St P) son of John Charles and Agnes Bird, husband of Gladys Mary Harrison, Captain, RE, died of wounds
- Maud Douglas (1888- ) (St H) Red Cross
- William Frederick Robrough Douglas (1887- ) (St H) Lieutenant RASC
These wills created by members of the Douglas family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Douglas : Alan Davis , of Kpamis Mushayt, Saudi Arabia and of Broomview House, Edinburgh, Scotland - 02/Nov/1970 , 02/Nov/1970 , D/Y/B1/151/31
- Douglas : Alexander Haswell , of 1, Sydney Court, Beaumont, St Peter - 28/Jul/1971 , 30/Oct/1973 , D/Y/B1/197/1
- Douglas : Annie Margaret , widow of James White, also known as Nancy White, of 3, Balmoral Terrace, St Helier - 30/Oct/1974 , 10/Feb/1975 , D/Y/B1/217/48
- Douglas : Constance Alexandra Annetta , widow of Ernest John Tappenden, of 140, Le Marais, St Clement - 19/Jun/1980 , 19/Jun/1980 , D/Y/B1/325/7
- Douglas : Elizabeth Annie , wife of Philip Joseph John Perchard, of Glasper, Janvrin Road, St Helier - 17/Aug/1956 , 29/Feb/1964 , D/Y/B1/78/29
- Douglas : Frederick Studdert , otherwise Frederick Studdart Douglas, of Westwinds, Windmill Estate, Ayios Georgios, Cyprus - 27/Jun/1974 , 26/Feb/1976 , D/Y/B1/236/3
- Douglas : Leonie McMurdo Greig , wife of Charles Brine, of Villa Griselda, Westmount, St Helier - 07/Mar/1968 , 07/Mar/1968 , D/Y/B1/117/32
- Douglas : Margaret Rae Brown , widow of Gordon Douglas, formerly of 15, Netherby Court, Beaumont, later of 2, Tyneville Flats, Victoria Avenue, St Helier Bequeaths to Sally Douglas and Helen Douglas, her jewellery; to Duncan Douglas, her desk or bureau and carriage clock - 20/Aug/1956 , 21/Sep/1956 , D/Y/B1/37/46
- Douglas : Mary Ann MacDonald Beyts , by Kathleen Edith Smith - Unknown date , 15/Sep/1932 , D/Y/A/93/88
- Douglas : Maud Ethel , widow of Arthur James Bartholomew, of 2, Monkton Farleigh, Trinity Hill, St Helier - 10/Oct/1969 , 28/Sep/1977 , D/Y/B1/266/24
- Douglas : William Bruce , 111 Rouge Bouillon, St Helier - 29/May/1922 , 22/Nov/1930 , D/Y/A/90/144
William Sholto Douglas, casualty of the Great War
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs