Dubras family page
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a French surname, but exactly which part of France it comes from is unclear. It translates literally as 'of the arm'. Perhaps the original Dubras had a strong arm.
It does not appear in any of our usual sources for the meaning of French names. It is suggested that Bras is a Breton nickname for a fat person, so there may be some connection here.
This name, which was well-known in Jersey throughout most of the 20th century, and still today, was brought to Jersey by Charles Dubras, from Varennes sur Seine, in the 1890s. He married Leontine Le Maitre from Normandy in 1896. Their son Leon was born in 1898, but there is no record of the birth in Jersey.
The couple had seven further children. Charles ran ladies' and men's hairdressing salons with wig making and perfumery sides to the business as well. His father Eugene was a wig maker, and family history tells that Charles made a wig for Princess Alexandra.
Great War service
- Charles Edmond Dubras (1869- ) (Paris) son of Eugene and Lucie Dubois, Soldat, French Infantry, husband of Leontine Le Maistre
- Leon Lucien Louis Dubras (1898-1966) (St H) son of above, Lieutenant, French Artillery
These wills created by members of the Dubras family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Dubras : Charles Edmond , 21 Halkett Place, St Helier 31/12/1913 Bequeaths to Leontine Louise Marie Dubras nee Le Maitre his Hairdressing & Perfume establishments in Jersey and Guernsey - Unknown date , 21/May/1947 , D/Y/A/117/135
- Dubras : Leon Lucien Louis , of Leonda, Mont Cochon, St Helier - 20/Dec/1966 , 20/Dec/1966 , D/Y/B1/103/20
- Dubras : Leontine Louise Marie , nee Lemaitre, widow of Charles Edmond Dubras, of 7, Great Union Road, St Helier - 31/Aug/1956 , 26/Feb/1962 , D/Y/B1/68/2
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs