Dunell family page
This family came to Jersey from Somerset, but the name may have older French origins.
The Dunell family's Beaumont shop in about 1900
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The family which came to Jersey was from Somerset, where the name can be traced back through several generations, and there are also records, possibly earlier, in Yorkshire. We have not found anything which would explain the origin of the name, but it appears to be a corruption of Downyll, which was present in Crewkerne, Somerset in the early 17th century.
There is a suggestion that the family name was originally d'Ouville and that it arrived in England with William the Conqueror. If this is true, the family would either have come from Douville in Calvados, or one of the communes called d'Ouville, in Manche, Calvados or Seine-Maritime.
A further suggestion is that the name is a corruption of Dunhill, from the Irish Dun and Aill, meaning 'Fort of the Rock'.
Yet another suggestion is that the name does come from Dunhill, but is of English origin, meaning 'dark rock'.
The Dunells appear to have arrived in Jersey from Somerset in the 1820s, and the first baptisms on record are those of Mary Louisa, Ann Elizabeth, Thomas Westear and William John, children of Thomas and Mary Ann, in St Helier between 1827 and 1834. Thomas was a master plasterer when he came to Jersey and was later shown in census returns as a master builder. His wife is variously shown as Ann, in baptism records, and Mary or Mary Ann in census returns. There is no sign that his son had children and this family line appears to have died out in Jersey.
The Dunell family which founded a business at Beaumont, which is still in the extended family today, also came from Somerset in the 1860s. Brothers Elias, who became a farmer, and George (see tree below) both settled in Jersey and raised families.
- Dunnell, apparently a different family, with its origins in Norfolk
- Dunhill, possibly a variant
Great War service
- Clifford Dunell (1883-1932) (St B) son of George and Mary Le Bas, husband of Mary Louise Dunell, Private, RJGB
- William Frederick Dunell (1893-1948)(St B) son of William Thomas and Elizabeth Giles, Corporal, RFA, wounded
These wills created by members of the Dunell family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Dunell : Alice Maud Mary , widow of Thomas George Carver, of 15, Windsor Road, St Helier - 25/Sep/1928 , 01/Feb/1952 , D/Y/B1/13/9
- Dunell : Annie Louisa Harriet , nee Fox, wife of John Bacter Dunell of Toohar, St Aubin, St Brelade - 11/Feb/1933 , 23/May/1950 , D/Y/B1/5/34
- Dunell : Clifford , Forest View, Beaumont, St Brelade 23/09/1924 Bequeaths to Ivy Marie Dunell the property Forest View; to Guy the property Somerset House, St Aubin, St Brelade - Unknown date , 30/Jan/1932 , D/Y/A/92/69
- Dunell : Edmund , Bel Royal, St Lawrence 4/02/1932 Bequeaths to The Sunday School of St Aubin's Wesleyan Chapel £100; to Dr Barnados Homes, London £100; to the Salvation Army £100 - Unknown date , 05/Nov/1943 , D/Y/A/111/90
- Dunell : Elias , 12 La Motte Street, St Helier - 30/Oct/1907 , 26/May/1913 , D/Y/A/72/41
- Dunell : George , St Aubin, St Brelade 7/10/1904 Bequeaths to Edmund Dunell and Clifford Dunell his shophouse and bakehouse at St Aubins - Unknown date , 05/Jan/1920 , D/Y/A/80/2
- Dunell : Gladys Emily , of 2, Excelsior Villas, St Brelade - 31/Oct/1966 , 07/Feb/1968 , D/Y/B1/116/23
- Dunell : Gwendoline Annie , widow of Stanley Morris Carver, of Calcutta House, Bellozanne Road, St Helier 25/03/1968 Note added - 01/Sep/1969 , 04/Feb/1970 , D/Y/B1/141/34
- Dunell : Thomas Westear , St Saviour - 13/Apr/1920 , 30/Apr/1920 , D/Y/A/80/58
Thomas Dunell, coal merchant in 1859 (see family tree)
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs