Egre family page
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Neither of the Jersey spellings Aigret and Egre are found in France today, but Egret and Aigret were and still are known in Haute Normandie and Picardie. Several possibilities have been put forward for the origin of the words. Aigrette (heron) is a popular choice but it is perhaps more likely that the name is derived from the adjective aigre (sad, acrimonius, laborious).
The Egre family in Jersey is believed to have originated with Jacques Aigret, an immigrant from Normandy, where he was born in 1700. He died in the island on 17 Mar 1747. The Egre family are still to be found in Jersey.
Great War service
- Clarence Winter Egre (1890- ) (St H) son of John Tourgis Egre and Eliza Margaret, nee McDonald, Gunner RGA
- Percy Albert Egre MM (1890- )(St P) son of Edward and Josephine, L-Cpl, Machine Gun Corps, wounded
These wills created by members of the Egre family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Egre : Clarence Winter , of 6, Longueville Road, St Saviour - 20/Sep/1971 , 14/Oct/1971 , D/Y/B1/165/30
- Egre : Edward Rive , son of Edward, of The Gables, St Peter - 23/Jul/1957 , 18/Nov/1963 , D/Y/B1/76/63
- Egre : John Tourgis , 14 Dorset Street, St Helier 14/06/1930 Bequeaths two life policies to Violet Elizabeth Aubert - Unknown date , 26/Feb/1947 , D/Y/A/117/62
- Egre : Percy Albert , of Les Lauriers, St Peter - 20/Jun/1931 , 01/Aug/1959 , D/Y/B1/55/55
- Egre : William Wilford , of Broughton Lodge, St Mary - 25/Jan/1950 , 28/Dec/1956 , D/Y/B1/39/26
- Egre : Winter George , of La Villa, Victoria Crescent, St Helier and formerly of 1, Hungerford Villas, Vauxhall Street, St Helier - 14/Jan/1964 , 18/Feb/1972 , D/Y/B1/170/61
- Egret : Louise Maria Alphonsine , widow of Adolphe Charles Victor Jeanne, of Les Arches, St Saviour - 23/Dec/1931 , 14/Jan/1959 , D/Y/B1/52/25
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs