Ellis family page
Baptism record of William Ellis in St Helier in 1817
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name was imported by Crusaders. It comes from the Greek Elias, and that in turn from the Hebrew Eliyahu, meaning Jehovah is God.
The name first appeared in the St Brelade baptism register in 1802, for the baptism of John, the first child of Jeremiah Ellis and Sara.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Charles Ellis (1875-1918), Private, killed. Possibly born in England, married to Minnie, living St Peter 1901, formerly 2nd Devon Regiment. Buried St Peter Churchyard, Jersey. No information on cause of death
- John Ellis (1880-1917) husband of Mary Gotel, Private, Hampshire Regiment, wounded 1914, returned to Jersey, died 1917
Sons of Philip and Mary Ann Candell
- Arthur Samuel Ellis (1879- ) (St H) Leading Stoker RN, HMS Neptune
- Ernest Walter Ellis (1887- ) (St H) Mercantile Marine
Sons of Adolphus Giffard Ellis and Margaret Ann Bird
- Frederick Giffard Ellis (1891- ) (St H) L-Sgt Canadian Infantry, wounded
- John Henry Ellis (1887- ) (St S), Sapper, Canadian Engineers, gassed
- William Philip Ellis (1891- ) (St H) son of John and Susan Jane Coutanche, Private, Hampshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Ellis family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Georgina Ellis née Stuart - 7 December 1945, D/Y/A/114
- Harriet Ellis - 8 June 1945, D/Y/A/113
- Philip Ellis, 22 Albert Street, St Helier - 11 March 1910, D/Y/A/69
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs