Evans family page
The 1813 St Brelade record of the baptism of George Evans
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Evans is a patronymic form of the Welsh male baptismal name Ifan or Evan, derived from "Iohannes" through the colloquial "Iovannes", Latin forms of John.
The first Evans baptisms recorded in Jersey were the children of David and Elizabeth Hubber in St Helier in 1749 and 1752. Thomas Evans of Devon married Elizabeth Le Gros in 1777 at St Saviour.
Great War service
- Christopher Evans (1885-1915) (St H) son of Christopher and Sophia Shew, Private, Worcestershire Regiment, killed in action
- Thomas Francis Evans (1882-1917) (St S) son of P Evans and Mary, Lance-Cpl Royal Marines, killed in action
- Charles Edgar Evans (St H) husband of Evelyn Mary, Private, Somerset Light Infantry
- Frederick James Evans (1881- ) (St H) son of James Frederick and Emma Susanne Collins, Stoker Petty Officer RN, HMS Victory X
- John James Evans (St H) Lieutenant, RAMC
- Samuel Evans (1888- ) (St H) son of Samuel and Hannah, Able Seaman RN, HMS Ajax
- Thomas Evans (1852- ) son of William and Jane, Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Evans family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Alice Evans, Wigan, Lancaster, widow - 17 August 1927, D/Y/A/87
- Catherine Evans, 10 Hue Street, St Helier - 19 September 1947, D/Y/A/118
- Charles Evans, High Trees, Route de Noirmont, St Brelade - 12 June 1943, D/Y/A/111
- David Evans, 12 Pomona Road, St Helier - 6 February 1926, D/Y/A/86
- George Evans, bequeaths to his wife Emma; all the rents due to him from two houses at Knightsbridge, London one being the public house The Marquis of Granby, and all his property in Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk 26 August 1822 - D/Y/A/19
- Rebecca Evans, St Helier, widow of James Tierney - 21 October 1912, D/Y/A/71
- Stanley Evans, 7 St Clements Gardens, St Clement - 10 March 1939, D/Y/A/104
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs