Fallaize family page
John Fallaize, Elizabeth and their family in 1872
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This is a surname of French origin and is believed to orginate in the Normandy town of Falaise, birthplace of William the Conqueror.
The name is more common in Guernsey than Jersey and it is probable that it originated in Jersey when members of the family settled there from Guernsey. Baptisms records seem to indicate two distinct families, one starting in the mid-18th century using the spelling Falaise, and the other appearing a century later using the spelling Fallaize.
However, there are several surviving records from the 14th century and even the end of the 13th, using a variety of spellings, suggesting that the family was established in Jersey far earlier and then died out.
- de la Falaise c 1340
- Faleise 1331
- de Faleise, 1305
- de la Faleise
- Falayse 1309
- de Falleyse 1309
- Faleyse 1299
- de Falaise 1299
Great War service
- Edmond Falaise (1881-1914) son of Edmond and Celina, Private, East Surrey Regiment, died of wounds
- Arthur John Fallaize ( -1915), son of John Percy (1863- ) Rifleman, London Regiment, killed in action
- Arthur John Fallaize (St H), Private, Royal Defence Corps
- Ernest Arthur Fallaize (1882- ) (Hants) son of Richard, of Jersey, Private, Labour Corps
- William Fallaize (London) son of Thomas, of Jersey, Private, RAMC
- William Charles Fallaize (1884- ) (St H) son of Elizabeth, Private, RJGB
These wills created by members of the Falaise family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Edmond Falaise, Colston House, forming the corner of St Saviour's Road and Stopford Road, St Saviour - 24 March 1904, D/Y/A/63
- Fallaize : Ada , nee Henry, widow of Jean Fallaize, of 6, St Saviour's Crescent, St Saviour's Road - 17/Aug/1959 , 08/Jul/1960 , D/Y/B1/60/10
- Fallaize : Doris Violet , nee Osborn, widow of William Charles Fallaize, of 25, Pier Road, St Helier - 17/Oct/1952 , 02/Mar/1956 , D/Y/B1/34/42
- Fallaize : Nicholas Collingford , Glenlee, St Marks Road, St Helier - 11/Apr/1893 , 17/Jul/1917 , D/Y/A/76/114
Click on any image to see the full-size version
The grave of Great War casualty Edmond Falaise at Dernancourt Communal Cemetery, near Albert