Fleury/Fleuret family page
Henry Fleuret, MBE
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This surname is of Norman origin, introduced into England after the Conquest of 1066. Firstly it may derive from the medieval given name "Fleuri", from the Old French "flur", Middle English "flo(u)r", flower. This was also a conventional term of endearment in medieval romantic poetry, and was the name borne by a 3rd century saint martyred in Nicomedia under Decius.
The surname may also be a French locational name from any of the various places in northern France which get their names from the Gallo-Roman personal name "Florus", with the local suffix "acum". There is a village called Fleury in the north-east of France, but that seems an unlikely place for a Jersey family to originate.
Finally, the surname may have derived from the Old French "fluri", flowered, variegated, and would have been a nickname denoting someone who dressed in an extravagant mixture of colours.
Fleury was also used as a baptismal name and in the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550 we find Fleury Chevalier
The surname is first recorded in the early 13th century. John Flory is listed in the 1230 Pipe Rolls of Norfolk, and Giles Florey is noted in the Feet of Fines of Essex (1295).
A Coat of Arms granted to the Flory family is a blue shield with a silver crescent between three silver fleur-de-lis, seeded gold. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Ranulf de Flury, which was dated 1201, in the "Assize Court Rolls of Somerset", during the reign of King John
The earliest church record for Fleury is in St Brelade in 1566, but the name was known in other spellings as early as 1185, making it one of the earliest recorded surnames in Jersey.
- Fleury, 1668
- Flaire, Flere 1668
- Florie c1340
- Fleures 1607
- Floris c1340
- Florle 1292
- Florus 1309
- Flori, Florie, 1185
- Flores 1533
- Descendants of William Fleury
- Descendants of Francois Fleury
- Descendants of George Fleury
- Descendants of Jean Fleury
- Descendants of Antoine Fleuret Added 2019
Great War service
- Frederick Jeune Fleury (1874- ) (St B) son of William and Ellen Elizabeth Jeune, CSM, Canadian Railways Transport Corps
- Charles William Fleury (1896-1964) (St P) son of Charles Jeune Fleury and Lorina Emma Trachy, Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- Gordon John Fleury (1896- ) (St P) Private, London Regiment, wounded twice
- William Touzel Fleury (1894- ) (St P) L-Cpl, Middlesex Regiment
- John Albert Fleuret (1878-1936) Fireman, Mercantile Marine, ss Ibex
- Walter Nelson Le Bas Fleury (St P), Corporal RE
These wills created by members of the Fleury family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Fleury : Charles Jeune , Acacia House, Vingtaine du Douet, St Peter - 26/Oct/1928 , 23/Aug/1940 , D/Y/A/107/32
- Fleury : Edward Sullivan , of St Lawrence 16/08/1870 Bequeaths to the poor of St Lawrence 5 shillings - Unknown date , 14/Oct/1871 , D/Y/A/36/16
- Fleury : Elizabeth , of St John 11/07/1818 Bequeaths to the poor of St John , £100 of the order of the King - Unknown date , 21/Feb/1829 , D/Y/A/21/43
- Fleury : Elizabeth , of St Peter's Valley, St Peter 11/11/1842 Bequeaths to the poor of St Peter, £1, and the remainder of the last 1/4 of her movable estate to the Independent Chapel at St Aubin - Unknown date , 13/Apr/1844 , D/Y/A/25/130
- Fleury : Elizabeth Marie , of St Lawrence : 15/06/1888 Bequeaths to the poor of St Lawrence 10 shillings - Unknown date , 13/Aug/1888 , D/Y/A/47/61
- Fleury : Frederick Jeune , of 202, 17th Street East, North Vancouver, British Columbia - 20/Mar/1945 , 10/Jun/1958 , D/Y/B1/48/48
- Fleury : George Philip , ... - 10/Apr/1896 , 07/May/1929 , D/Y/A/89/98
- Fleury : Jane , of St Lawrence 11/09/1889 Bequeaths to the poor of St Lawrence 10 shillings - Unknown date , 19/Oct/1897 , D/Y/A/56/101
- Fleury : Jeanne , of St John, now of St Helier 16/01/1787 Bequeaths to the poor of St John, £10 tournois of the order of the King - Unknown date , 22/Sep/1787 , D/Y/A/14/41
- Fleury : Jeanne , of St Peter, now of St Brelade 06/02/1855 Desires to be buried in St Peter's Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Peter, 10s - Unknown date , 05/May/1855 , D/Y/A/28/115
- Fleury : Laurie Annie , Acacia House, St Peter - 28/Sep/1938 , 15/Dec/1944 , D/Y/A/113/29
- Fleury : Marie , of St Lawrence 16/10/1852 Bequeaths to the poor of St Lawrence, 1s Bequeaths to the British and Foreign Bible Society, £1, to the Independent Church at St Peter, £1, to the Sunday School of the same Church, £1 - Unknown date , 17/Oct/1857 , D/Y/A/29/51
- Fleury : Susannah , of St Peter 25/03/1896 Bequeaths to Maria Esther Fleury land in the west of Pre du Mont Audiere, St Peter, Fief des Vingt Livres - Unknown date , 28/Aug/1897 , D/Y/A/56/85
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs