Fliquet Tower

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Martelloicon.png


Fliquet Tower


FliquetTowerTopIntact.jpg


Fliquet Tower is the most northerly of the line along Jersey's east coast. It is owned by the States of Jersey. It is not clear whether this rather poor quality image is a photograph or a drawing, but it is the only known picture of the tower with its upper section intact


H20TowerFliquet3.jpg

Fliquet Tower [1] is also known as Telegraph Tower, because an undersea telegraph cable to France came ashore here. It stands on the coast at the northern end of Fliquet Bay, on a stretch of road known as Le R'Volu, between Rue de la Perruque and Rue de Fliquet.

It was originally intended that there would be a further tower extending the east coast chain to Rozel, but permission was not given to Jersey's Governor, General (later Field Marshal) Henry Seymour Conway, who was horrified at the state of Jersey's defences when he first came to the island in 1778, six years after his appointment.

HER statement

Along with all Jersey's other coastal towers and historic fortifications it is a listed building, described as follows in the Jersey Heritage Historic Environment Record website:

"One of 23 Conway towers built between 1778 and 1801, adapted into integrated network of German defensive structures constructed in Jersey during the Second World War, more widely part of the Atlantic Wall.
"Remains of Conway Tower circa 1794. Shown on 1795 Richmond Map. The tower lost its original upper section at some time before 1910, when the section of the tower above the cill level of the second floor loopholes was removed and the remaining lower portion of the tower topped with ornamental crenellations.
"Adapted by German occupying forces during the Second World War, and partially capped with a concrete roof. Adjoining machine gun positions, personnel shelter and open position for 10.5cm beach defence added as part of Resistance Nest Fliquet.
"Round tower in random granite, with lower circuit of gun loopholes dressed in brick and granite."
G20FliquetTower.jpg
A 1920s photograph showing how the tower looked after the upper section was demolished but before the Germans got their hands on it.

German Occupation pictures

W20FliquetTower1.jpg

Notes and references

  1. The name of the bay in which the tower was built is variously spelt Fliquet and Flicquet
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs