Foott family page
Mary Ann Foote, nee Orchard, born in Jersey in 1831
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Found in both Jersey and Guernsey, Foott is a variant of Foot. Both are West Country names, and various spellings are found, all derived from the Norse-Viking fotr, meaning 'fleet of foot'.
The earliest records are for Barefoote and variations. Foott does not appear until the 1870s, when the grandchildren of Edward Foote, of Cornwall, begin to appear in Jersey baptism registers.
All these variants are found in Jersey
- Barefoote, 1653
- Burfoot, 1731
- Bearfoot, 1832
Births and baptisms
Great War service
Sons of George and Angelie Goubin
- George Robert Foot (1882- ) (St H) Gunner, RGA
- Samuel John Louis Foot (1880- ) (St H), Driver, RFA
- Harry Charles Foott (1899- ) (St H) son of Harry and Louise Dolbecq, Private, RJGB
Sons of Charles and Jane Bennet
- Adolphus Foott (1879- )(St H) Gunner, RGA
- Albert George Foott (1884- )(St H) Private, Gordon Highlanders
These wills created by members of the Foott family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Frances Foot of Plymouth, now of St Helier, widow - 30 November 1886, D/Y/A/46
- David Foott of Portsmouth, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier £1 8 May 1838 - D/Y/A/24
Notable family members
- Steve Foote, expatriate Guernseyman who founded Jerripedia's sister site, Donkipedia, in 2010
- Francis Foot, prominent Jersey photographer