Georgelin family page
Henry John Georgelin was born in Jersey in 1886 and emigrated to Canada in 1913. He was back in Europe by 24 August the following year to serve with the Canadian Army in the Great War. He is probably the Harry Georgelin in the Great War list on this page. He married Mary Julia Dowinton (1895-1968) in Jersey in November 1914 and returned to active service. The couple were back in Canada by 1920 when the first of their three children was born
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The surname is a diminuitive of the personal name George, peculiar to the Cotes d'Armor department of Brittany.
The family arrived in Jersey in the 1870s, one of many to come from Ploeuc-sur-Lie in Cotes d'Armor (see tree below).
- Georgel, a variant found elsewhere in France
- Georgelet, another French variant
Births and baptisms
Great War service
There is little doubt that all these Georgelin men were closely related within the same family. There is frequently some confusion over who was born in Jersey and who in France.
- Albert Joseph Georgelin (1900- ) (Tr) son of Jean and Francoise, ex-RMIJ, Private, RAMC
- Frank Marie Georgelin (1902- ) (Tr) son of Jean and Marie, Boy RN, HMS Impregnable
- Harry Georgelin (1884-1963) (St S) son of Jacques Marie and Victoire Perrio, L-Cpl, Canadian Infantry
- Honore Marie Georgelin (1893-1931) (St My or France), Bombardier, RFA
- John Georgelin (1891- ) (Fr) son of Joseph and Rosalie, Private, Canadian Infantry, wounded
- Joseph Georgelin (1892- ) (France) son of Joseph and Rosalie, father (Tr), Corporal, Australian Infantry, wounded
These wills created by members of the Georgelin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- François Georgelin, Ferndale, St Peter - 16 April 1941, D/Y/A/108
- Honoré Georgelin, Homestill, St Mary - 28 October 1931, D/Y/A/92
- Joseph Georgelin, Beau Désert, Trinity - 13 December 1929, D/Y/A/89
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs