Giffard family page
Florence Letitia Williams, nee Giffard (1886- ) daughter of John Francis and Elizabeth Bisson, married John Williams
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This surname is of some considerable antiquity and was introduced into England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. It has two possible origins, the first of which is as the Anglicized form of the Germanic personal name "Gebhardt", composed of the elements "geb", meaning "gift" and "hard", meaning "brave", "hardy" or "strong". The popularity of St Gebhardt, Bishop of Constance at the end of the 10th Century, contributed to the continued use of the given name into the Middle Ages.
The second possible origin is from the Old French "Giffard", used as a nickname for someone thought to be "chubby-cheeked", a derivative of the Germanic word "giffel", "cheek".
The name is common today in Normandy and records there go back to Walterius Gyfardus in 1037, Waltcrus Gifardus in 1046, and Galterius Giffart in 1066.
The name does not appear to have occurred so early in Jersey. It apppears in the Extente of 1528 and Jacquet, Jeffrey, Johan, Robyn and Katherine are all mentioned in the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550
- Guillaume Giffard was born in Grouville about 1473. He was probably the brother of Jean (1475- ) and the son of another Jean
- Thomas Giffard was born in Trinity about 1574, and was the father of Catherine (1600- ) who married John Cabot, and probably of Marie (1604- ) who married Alexis de la Haye
- Jacques Gifford was born in St Saviour about 1576 and married Elizabeth Dolbel in 1603
- Bregitte Giffard was born in Trinity about 1566
- Richard Giffard was born in Grouville about 1581 and married Catherine Neel
Although the spelling Giffard is by far the most common in Jersey, Gifford is also found in records which probably belong to the same family.
- Giffard, 1668
- Giffert 1607
- Gyffart 1528
- Descendants of Jean Giffard
- Descendants of Jean Giffard - 2
- Descendants of Pierre Giffard
- Descendants of Jean Giffard and Marie Machon
- Descendants of Francois Giffard
- Descendants of Philippe Giffard
- Giffards of Trinity
- Descendants of Nicolas Giffard
Great War service
- Edward P Giffard MM (1885-1915) son of Edward and Alice of St Clement, ex-RMIJ, Rifleman, Royal Irish Rifles
- Percival Edwin Giffard (1899- ) (St C) husband of Winifred May Le Quelenec, Private, Worcestershire Regiment
- Sydney Edward Giffard (1896-1967)(St C) ex-RMIJ, Driver, RFA
- Reginald William Alfred Giffard (1900- )(St H) son of William Charles Frederick and Ada Selina Bouchard, Private, Devonshire Regiment
Click on any image to see full-size version
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs