Gillard family page
Florence Alice Gillard, nee Heywood (1879-1954) with her daughters Florence Olivia and Eileen
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The name is Norman-French in origin, although the Jersey family appears to have originated in England. The name and is said to mean 'son of Guillaume', which is the same derivation given by one French source for Guillard.
The first time the name appears in Jersey records is for the marriage of soldier Thomas Gillard to Marie Valpy in St Helier in 1798. They do not appear to have had any children in the island and the first baptism recorded is that of Joseph, the son of William Gillard and Grace.
The head of the first family tree listed below, Richard, or his son George, came to Jersey from England in the early 19th century.
Variants found in different parts of France, the second specifically in Brittany.
Although there are suggstions that all these names are variants of each other, we believe that Guilliard and Guillard, which can be found in records covering the same generation of one family in Jersey, should be treated separately from this page and we have created a distinct family page for them.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Francis Gillard (1900-1964) (St O) son of George and Ann de la Haye, Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Philip Gillard (1878- ) (St O) son of George and Rachel Perree, Private, Somerset Light Infantry
- William John Gillard (1877- ) (St H) son of William and Olivia, husband of Florence Alice Heywood, Petty Officer RN
These wills created by members of the Gillard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Gillard : Ann , widow of Richard Charles Stephens, of 51, Aquila Road, St Helier - 09/Aug/1972 , 09/Aug/1972 , D/Y/B1/178/41
- Gillard : Emily Edith , of Elton Cottage, Wicksworth Road, Duffield, Derbyshire - 19/Mar/1944 , 25/Jul/1953 , D/Y/B1/20/20
- Gillard : Francis Roy , of 6, Maisonettes, First Tower, St Helier - 18/May/1971 , 18/May/1971 , D/Y/B1/159/11
- Gillard : George , Halberton, Devon, now of St Ouen - 01/Jul/1893 , 27/Nov/1895 , D/Y/A/54/101
- Gillard : George Emile , of No 7, St Mark's Crescent, St Helier - 18/Jul/1979 , 18/Jul/1979 , D/Y/B1/303/29
- Gillard : Jean , ... - 24/Sep/1757 , 29/Nov/1758 , D/Y/A/10/12
- Gillard : Sydney Charles , of Itarsi, Queen's Road, St Helier - 12/Mar/1951 , 27/Nov/1951 , D/Y/B1/12/5
- Gillard : William John , of 27, Aquila Road, St Helier - 18/Jun/1968 , 18/Jun/1968 , D/Y/B1/121/34
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs