Gottrel family page
George Gottrel delivering form Hall and Meyer fruit and veg in about 1940
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
We have no information on the origins of this surname, but it is likely to be a diminuitive of another more common surname, possibly 'Gotron' or 'Gottrand' which are ultimately believed to derive from 'Gautier'
This name has been present in Jersey since the 17th century.
- Gatherall - Extract from the Newfoundland Encyclopedia entry for Bauline East: "According to Theresa Mary Bryce, Bauline was first permanently settled by a Gatherall family from Jersey in the late 18th Century". Gatherall is not a name found in Jersey, but if the tradition of Jersey origins for the Gatheralls is correct the name could possibly be a variant of the surname Gottrel. JMurray
Great War service
- George Gottrel (1865- ) (St Mt) son of Mary, Mercantile Marine
Sons of John and Jane Gottrell
- Adolphus John Gottrell (1887- ) (Gr), husband of Gertrude Caroline Lowden, Mercantile Marine
- Snowdon John Gottrell (1886- ) (Gr), Gunner, RFA
- Stanley John Gottrell (1894- ) (Gr) Gunner, RFA
- Winter John Gottrell (1883- ) (Gr) husband of Annie Elizabeth, Private, Labour Corps
These wills created by members of the Gottrell family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Ann Gottrell, Roseneath, Grouville - 13 September 1933, D/Y/A/95
- Fannie Gottrell, Grouville bequeaths to the poor of Grouville 5s - 8 February 1907, D/Y/A/66
- George Gottrel, 29 Union Street, St Helier - 26 April 1946, D/Y/A/115
- Mary Gottrell of Grouville, desires to be buried in St Helier Cemetery - 4 April 1888, D/Y/A/47
- Philippe Gottrell, Fauvic, Grouville - 1 November 1909, D/Y/A/68
- Snowdon Gottrell, Grouville - 10 December 1934, D/Y/A/96
- Winter Gottrell, Roseneath, Fauvic, Grouville - 23 January 1931, D/Y/A/91