Gouray Cottage

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Gouray Cottage, Grouville


H20GourayCottage.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

H20GourayCottage2.jpg

Property name

Gouray Cottage

Location

Gorey Village Main Road, Grouville

Type of property

Village house with 17th century origins

Valuations

The cottage sold for £820,000 in 2009

Families associated with the property

  • Turner: The house was occupied by his sisters when Sir Hilgrove Turner lived in Gouray Lodge next door

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A house with 17th century origins and some features, largely extended and altered in the 19th century, with interesting historical associations. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

The core of the property is a circa 17th century house, with its round arch doorway and chamfered windows; the thick rear wall the possible location for a tourelle staircase. The southeast gable end of the house was apparently truncated when the road was altered in the early 19th century, and this elevation redesigned as the entrance front.

Further alterations to the house in the late 19th century include the heightening of the arched doorway and windows (with internal floor and ceiling levels altered), and the addition of a southwest wing to the roadside, which is built across part of the façade of the earlier property with some (now internal) window openings turned into doorways.

New doorways were also formed into the later rear extensions.

B18GourayLodgePlaque.png

Old Jersey Houses

From Volume One: "From the road one would never guess that there was a round arch in the south facade of this house, the original way it faced before later alterations had changed it to face eastwards.

"On the roadside is a plqque of caen stone, depicting the arms of William III. Although it is crudely executed it is very like the arms of the same King at Elizabeth Castle, dated 1697, three years after the death of his Queen. It may have been a trial, intended for Mont Orgueil, or perhaps one that was not considered well enough executed for use in the castles, and was thrown out, and salvaged by the owner of this house."

The author speculates that the house may predate the 1697 coat of arms and be as early as 1660.

In Volume Two a further entry refers to the claim in J Stead's A Picture of Jersey that :"Gouray was formerly the seat of justice; the House is yet standing where the sittings of the Royal Court were formerly held; against the front of it the Arms are yet affixed". [1]


Notes and references

  1. No evidence has been found to support this assertion. It is believed that in special circumstances, such as an outbreak of plague, court sittings were held in the country, and it would have been logical for the court officials to travel to a house close to the castle prison, rather than take the prisoners to town, as was the usual practice, but this is only speculation.
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs