Grand Mourier 
- Grand Mourier House
- Grand Mourier Cottage
The property is at the junction of Rue de l'Etocquet and Rue du Grand Mourier, St John
Type of property
Divided farmstead. This is a classic example of a farmstead which has been divided into separate residential units, each retaining the original name, but with the addition of 'house' and 'cottage' to two of them to distinguish between the three. 
Grand Mourier House was offered for sale in 2017 for £1,595,000 and sold the following year for £1.45 million. In 2020 it was sold again for £1.6 million, having been offered earlier at £1.85 million
Families associated with the property
- Sarre: Possibly owners in the 16th century
- Coutanche: After the German Occupation Agricultural War Claims were submitted by Charles and Clarence Coutanche, of Grand Mourier. At the start of the war an application for postponement of military service was submitted on behalf of Reginald Henry Coutanche (1919- ), a carpenter and joiner. Clarence Albert Coutanche (1918- ) submitted an application on his own behalf, as a farmer, as did his brother Charles John (1916- ). They were successful because in 1941 they were living here with their mother Emily Frances Coutanche, nee Paisnel (1881- ) and younger brothers Cyril Philip (1923- ) and Wilfred Ernest (1928- ). Cyril worked on the farm and when Wilfred left school he became an apprentice garage mechanic. He did not look after his wartime identity cards very well. He lost the first one and needed a further replacement when the second became mutilated.
- Baudains: There is a record of a Court hearing in 1873 after four members of the Arthur family and two Le Bruns were caught poaching rabbits on Grand Mourier land, owned by Jean Baudains, armed with rifles and accompanied by several dogs. The Court record, which does not reveal the outcome of the hearing, states that the six men refused to stop hunting despite being told to by Mr Baudains
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group with 18th century origins, both houses retaining their proportions and good stonework. Of note to the interior is the 18th century fireplace.
The principal house, although mid-late 18th century, preserves the earlier idea of wings for farm buildings on the east and west, thus forming a courtyard in front of the house. The house emulates the polite architecture of Georgian fashion but with a continuing local character.
There must have been an earlier house as several chamfered window lintels have been reused in the outhouse.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Two-storey, five bay, with two-storey, two-bay wing to east, with further 20th century extension to east. 19th century house projecting south from east wing.
Bakehouse to south west; garden wall now open to swimming pool behind, connecting bakehouse to house. Converted outbuildings to south west.
Old Jersey Houses
Grand Mourier, St John, is stated in its Volume 1 entry to be of mid-18th century construction. It seems to justify its place in this volume because several window lintels from an older property have been incorporated in the structure. The author also refers to a 'curious stone slab' but fails to state its purpose with any degree of certainty.
The only indication of who might have lived here is that 'it probably belonged to a junior branch of the Sarre family, of Le Vieux Manoir, in the 16th century.
Notes and references
- ↑ The HER entry describes the property as La Grand Mourier House, in La Rue du Grande Mourier. The correct spelling is Grand Mourier and Rue du Grand Mourier
- ↑ The photographs on this page are of what is now known as Grand Mourier House, but the 2018 almanac listing showed Grand Mourier, Grand Murier House and Grand Mourier Cottage as adjacent properties in Rue du Grand Mourier. There is another house nearby, in Rue du Sorel, called Petit Mourier, but it is not connected to this property