Gray family page
Louisa Gray, nee Andrew
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
It is more than likely that the first holders of the surname had grey hair, although there is also believed to be a link in some families to the commune of Graye in Calvados, Normandy.
Although a very common surname, Gray did not appear in Jersey baptism records until the beginning of the 19th century. There was a marriage of John Gray and Elizabeth Le Boulanger in St Clement in 1695, but there are no records of their having children in the island.
- de Grey
Births and baptisms
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Gray family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Ada Gray née Clark, Ellerslie, Mont Millais, St Helier - 19 September 1945, D/Y/A/114
- Amelia Gray, Grouville - 26 June 1913, D/Y/A/72
- Andrew Gray of Ballibay, Ireland, now of St Helier 14 July 1851 - D/Y/A/27
- Charles Gray of 3 Cheapside, St Helier - 11 March 1891, D/Y/A/50
- Charles Gray, 31 Midvale Road, St Helier - 28 July 1937, D/Y/A/101
- Eliza Gray née Querée, Hazeldean Cottage, Five Oaks, St Saviour, widow - 14 April 1939, D/Y/A/104
- Elizabeth Gray, The Home for Infirm and Aged Women, 17 Regent Road, St Helier, widow of Henry Robert Algar bequeaths the residue of personal property to The Home for Infirm and Aged Women - 6 November 1919, D/Y/A/79
- Ellinor Gray, St Saviours - 12 January 1937, D/Y/A/100
- Georgiana Gray, Seymour House, La Rocque, widow of Carl Auguste Becker - 26 April 1920, D/Y/A/80
- James Gray of 44 Val Plaisant, St Helier - 20 March 1945, D/Y/A/113
- James Gray, 44 Val Plaisant, St Helier - 29 October 1919, D/Y/A/79
- Mary Gray née Cairns, 31 Midvale Road, St Helier - 6 July 1925, D/Y/A/85
- W Gray - 23 April 1917, D/Y/A/76
A postcard sent in 1924 to Lily and Fred Gray at 18 Old St John's Road. We think this was Frederick George Lambert Gray, son of John George Walberton and Louisa, nee Lambert, born in St Helier in 1898, and his wife Lily. John was a 'general carrier' and he and Lily were living with baby Frederick in Belmont Road in 1901, and in Roseville Street in 1911. Frederick appears to have been the couple's only child
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs