Griffin family page
William Griffin and Colleen Derby were married in Grouville in 1710
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This English name may also be linked to Irish, Scottish or Welsh families with the addition of the prefix O' or variations of Mac.
In its various forms it is probably derived from Welsh, Anglo-Saxon or Germanic words for dragon.
Griffin first appears in Jersey baptism records between 1711 and 1725 with the three daughters and two sons of William. No name is given for their mother and burial records show that William died in 1727 and there is no sign of what happened to his children.
The form Greffin makes an earlier appearance with the burial of Thomas, from England, recorded in St Helier in 1661, and that of his wife Elizabeth the following year.
Three different family lines can be traced in Jersey (see tree below)
- Griffon, probably a separate family, but will included on this page
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Rene George Patrick Griffin (1899-1917), son of Henry and Ellen of St Helier, Private, Training Reserve, died
- Bertie Griffin MSM, RSM, 5th Heavy Artillery Brigade, wounded (possibly Herbert George)
- Denis Griffin (1895- ) (St H) son of Henry and Ellen, Able Seaman RN, HMS Kent
- Henry Robert Griffin MSM (1891- ) (St H) son of Henry and Ellen, Sergeant RAOC, served in Russia
- Stanley Griffin (1890- ) son of John Vernon and Clara Vautier, Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Griffin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Arthur Griffin, Les Landes Cottage, St Martin - 25 August 1934, D/Y/A/96
- Lydia Griffin, St Helier, widow - 31 January 1941, D/Y/A/107
- Orson Griffin of 9 Longueville Road, St Saviour - 13 June 1945, D/Y/A/113
- Paul Griffon, Captain of the Grenadiers in Marseilles 3 August 1765 - D/Y/A/11
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Rene George Patrick Griffin at Almorah Cemetery, St Helier