Guppy family page
Although other families may have come from elsewhere, the main Guppy family in Jersey, covered by the tree below, came from Dorset, where their ancestry can be traced back to the 15th century
Hannah Mary Jane Guppy, wife of Walter George Pigeon, who died at the age of 24 in 1900. Her brother Alfred was killed in action in World War 1 in 1917
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname was given to an inhabitant of a tiny hamlet of the same name in Dorset, named as the farm of someone called Guppa.
Although there is a Guppy marriage on record in St Brelade in 1753, it was not until 1839 that a family became established and baptism records started to appear in the St Helier register.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Albert Edward Ennis Guppy (1885-1917) son of James and Sarah, husband of Emily, nee Cabot, Corporal, London Irish Rifles, killed in action
- John Sydney Guppy (1890-1915) (Jer), son of George James and Harriet Louisa, of Guernsey, killed in action in Turkey
- Daniel Forester Guppy (1882- ) (St H) son of James George and Sarah Jane Ennis, Petty Officer RN, HMS Vivien
- Thomas George Guppy (St H), Private, Middlesex Regiment, no Jersey records
These wills created by members of the Guppy family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Andrew Guppy of 15 Grove Place - 31 March 1898, D/Y/A/57
- John Guppy of East Cocker, Somerset, now of St Helier, bequeaths to Joseph Guppy and George Guppy, a house bordering on Hilary Street, St Helier, and to the poor of St Helier, 5s 15 February 1854 - D/Y/A/28
- John Guppy, St Helier - 12 September 1912, D/Y/A/71
- Louisa Guppy, wife of Philip John Hamon, Harod House, First Tower, St Helier - 11 June 1927, D/Y/A/87
- François Goupy - 3 March 1939, D/Y/A/104
- Margueritte Goupy, widow of George Le Gros of St Helier 1729 - D/Y/A/6
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Cpl Albert Edward Ennis Guppy at Jerusalem War Cemetery, Israel