Guy/Guyon family page
William Guy (1858-1951)
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Found throughout the world in a variety of spellings, this surname is of French origin and is derived from the old French gui meaning guide. Professional guides fulfilled an important role in the days before reliable maps became available.
The name first appears in Jersey records in 1809, and from then to 1833 ten children of John Guy and Mary Gluvas were baptised in St Helier. They had married the year before and although both were shown in the St Helier register as coming from St Helier, it is likely that they were born outside the island.
We have included the Guyon family on this page, because it is recognised as a variant, but it is a distinct family in Jersey, appearing nearly a century earlier in church records - from 1716 in St John, when the first of five children of Moyse and Charlotte Canteau was baptised.
- Guyon, although recognised as a variant of Guy, this is a distinct family in Jersey
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Frederick William Guy, Yeoman of Signals, RN, HMS Amazon, no Jersey records, possibly St S
- George Sutherland Guyon (1875-1916), Lt-Col Royal Fusiliers, killed in action, Jersey resident 1910-1916
- George Guy (1897- ) (St H) Gunner, RFA
- Harold James Guy (1894- ) (St H), Driver, RFA
- Sydney George Guy (1891- ) (St H), Private, Machine Gun Corps
- Francis George Guy (1887- )(St H), Gunner, RGA
- Percy Guy (1885- ) (St H) ex-RMIJ, Gunner, RGA
- Thomas Hamilton Guy (1887- ) (St H)Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Guy family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- John Guy of St Helier, shoeing smith, bequeaths to Thomas and George Guy, all his working tools such as the forge, 2 pairs of bellows, 2 anvils, hammers, vices, and stock in trade 27 November 1846 - D/Y/A/26
- Nancy Guy, widow of Philip Le Bailly - 13 December 1876, D/Y/A/39