Hamelin family page
Jean Hamelin was baptised in St Saviour in 1836
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of surname
Possibly a diminuitive of Hamel, this is a name found in France mainly in the Manche and Ile-et-Vilaine departments, the closest to Jersey.
There are also suggestions that it is not connected to Hamel at all, but derived from the old German personal name 'Hamelin'.
Baptism registers in Jersey contain the name as far back as 1603, starting in Grouville. There were 53 baptisms in all during the 17th century but then the name disappears from island records, to return in the 1830s, with the children of Pierre Francois Hamelin and Elizabeth Queree. It is presumed that the Hamelin family died out in the 18th century because Pierre Francois, who married Elizabeth in St Martin in 1830, was a new immigrant from nearby France.
It has not been possible to place two sets of Hamelin parents in either of the trees below:
- Abraham and Elizabeth Dumaresq had five children baptised in St Martin between 1639 and 1647 - Anne, Moyse, Susanne, Jeanne and Hugh.
- Helier, the name of whose wife is not known, had five children baptised in St Brelade between 1687 and 1693 - Anne, Rachel, Judith, Charles and Elizabeth
- Hamlin, 1607, treated as a separate family with different derivation
- Hamling, treated as a separate family with different derivation
- Descendants of Walter Hamelin
- Descendants of Charles Hamelin
- Descendants of Pierre Francois Hamelin Added 2019
Great War service
- John Sydney Hamelin (1893- ) (St S), son of John, Corporal, Hampshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Hamelin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Elizabeth Hamelin 7 April 1679 - D/Y/A/1
- Jean Hamelin, St Saviour - 20 February 1895, D/Y/A/54
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs