Harrison family page
The name first appears in Jersey records in the 1700s
A photograph of a Miss Harrison in the 1870s by Ernest Baudoux
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name is of early medieval English origin, 'meaning son of Harry', further derived from Henry and the French 'Henri', and ultimately the old German 'Haimric', meaning 'home' and 'power'.
The name first appears in Jersey records from the first decade of the 18th century. The Harrison family which owned the Jersey Evening Post for much of the 20th century came to the island from the Isle of Man.
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Harrison family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Albert Harrison, 4 Beresford Street, St Helier - 17 October 1912, D/Y/A/71
- Arthur Harrison, Rocqueberg, Samares, St Clement - 3 March 1944, D/Y/A/112
- Clara Harrison, wife of Captain John Le Feuvre, Hautbois Villa, Bellozanne Road, St Helier 16 June 1894 13 November 1911- 25 January 1916, D/Y/A/75
- Cuthbert Harrison, La Tour Nursing Home, High Street, St Aubin, St Brelade - 11 November 1929, D/Y/A/89
- Elizabeth Harrison, wife of Harry Vincent Hallewell, St Helier - 1 December 1938, D/Y/A/103
- John Harrison of Chigwell, Essex , bequeaths to John Oswald Harrison, Fonthill, St Helier , bequeaths to Percy Ross Harrison, Rossmore Cottage, St Helier - 16 March 1865, D/Y/A/32
- Louise Harrison, Trinity - 9 June 1948, D/Y/A/119
- Margaret Harrison, 20 Beaconhill Road, Newark Upon Kent, Nottingham, temporarily of La Pommeraie, Val Andre, Côtes du Nord - 17 March 1944, D/Y/A/112
- Robert Harrison, Woodbine, Beaumont - 12 May 1921, D/Y/A/81
- Sarah Harrison of Fonthill, St Helier, spinster - 29 July 1871, D/Y/A/36
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs