If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Haut du Marais
Rue de la Croute, St Ouen
Type of property
Single-storey building circa 1700
Families associated with the property
Historic Environment Record entry
Haut du Marais dates to the late 1600s/early 1700s and is an interesting and rare example of Jersey vernacular architecture of this period. The building was used as a bakehouse and stable - although may have begun as a cottage - historically belonging to the Le Maistre family.
The Richmond map of 1795 shows another south facing building (now lost) alongside the bakehouse.
The building is single-storey, constructed of rubble granite with elongated and irregular quoins. The north facing gable has an integral fireplace and granite chimney stack with thatch weathering stones. The gable contains a small door into the loft. Also present is a single support stone for the fireplace projecting through the gable, and the remains of an early pin-and-eye gate hinge.
The south facing gable has a small ventilation opening to the loft, below which is a pair of nesting holes for pigeons or doves. There is a small window to the stable below.
The front of the building faces east and contains two doorways and two windows - all with unchamfered granite dressings and timber lintels. One door provides access into the stable and the other (which is unusually combined with a window) into the bakehouse room.
The west facing wall has a single window into the stable. Internally the building was previously divided into two rooms by a timber partition but is now a single space. The joinery to the loft floor and roof all appear to be late 19th century and the roof pantiles likely date to this period. There is an earth floor. The fireplace appears to have been reconfigured in the late 19th century when a new bread oven was constructed of granite with brick lining. There is a niche within the original chimney embrasure, and another niche in the west wall beside the bread oven.