Hawkins family page
Esther Hawkins (1835-1917)
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The name is derived from the old English hafoc, meaning 'hawk' and was given to someone who had the bird's ferocious instincts.
We have been able to identify two main families in 19th century Jersey. One started with the marriage in St Helier in 1929 of Charles Hawkins, from Dorset, to Susanne Pinel of St Helier. The other started with John and Mary Ann, who were probably married before coming to Jersey and then settled in St Brelade.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Arthur William Hawkins (1880- ) (St S) son of James and Eliza Rachel, Aircraftsman RAF
- Gilbert Hawkins (St My) Corporal, RASC, no local records
These wills created by members of the Hawkins family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Anne Hawkins wife of Francis Charles Ahier, of Halkett Street, St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 5s - 14 June 1867, D/Y/A/33
- Elizabeth Hawkins, 10 Queens Road, St Helier - 16 January 1931, D/Y/A/91
- Robert Hawkins, Gargate Mill, St Peter - 10 July 1917, D/Y/A/76
- Elizabeth Hawkins, Oliver Villa, St Peter, widow - 30 January 1945, D/Y/A/115
- John Hawkins, St Peter - 29 October 1906, D/Y/A/65