Henderson family page
This surname has its origins in Scotland and arrived in Jersey in the 18th century
Jane Elizabeth Henderson in the 1950s, born in Jersey in 1923, the daughter of Dr Hamilton Henderson and Dorothy, nee Hooley. The family also lived in Guernsey
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
An old Scottish name, meaning 'son of Hendry', which was a Scottish variant of Henry, which is ultimately derived from the Germanic personal name Haimric, composed of home and power, via the French 'Henri'. So this is effectively a variant of Harrison, although in Jersey the two families are quite distinct.
The first record of a Henderson baptism in Jersey was in 1771 in St Helier.
- Harrison, a separate family in Jersey
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Clarence Gerald Henderson (1895- ) (St H) son of Fannie, Driver RFA
These wills created by members of the Henderson family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- James Henderson of St Helier, doctor of medicine, Inspetor General of Army hospitals Relates that his father, John Henderson, partly conveyed to the testator heritable subjects in Kent Street, King Street and Claythorne Street, Burgh of Glasgow in trust - 20 March 1871, D/Y/A/35
- Samuel Henderson, Hillside, Wellington Road, St Saviour - 29 June 1923, D/Y/A/83
- William Henderson, Edinburgh, now of Le Picachon, Trinity - 28 September 1895, D/Y/A/54
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs