Henry Pipon (1843—1924), second son of Col James Kennard Pipon, Seigneur of Noirmont, and Elizabeth, daughter of James Collier MP, joined the Royal Artillery at the age of 18 and rose to Major-General and for 14 years was resident Governor of the Tower of London.
He joined the Royal Artillery from Woolwich in 1861. His first active service was during the Fenian Raid on Canada in 1866. During the Afghan Campaign of 1879-81 he served in the Royal Horse Artillery, and was present at the actions of Shutagandau and Charasia and the operations at Kabul.
On the famous march to Kandahar he was Adjutant RA, and took part in the Battle of Kandahar, receiving the medal with three clasps, the bronze star, and three mentions in despatches.
From 1896 to 1900 he was Colonel on the Staff in Bengal, and in 1900 was made a Companion of the Bath. In 1900 and 1901 he commanded the RA in the China Field Force, and was again mentioned in despatches. This was his last active service.
Tower of London
In 1903 he was appointed Assistant Inspector of Remounts at Headquarters and in 1903 Deputy Assistant Director. In 1909 he became Resident Governor of the Tower of London, living in the King's House, in which the Guy Fawkes conspirators were examined.
He took the keenest interest in the historic buildings, which for the next 14 years were under his care. He retired in 1923, and died on 14 January 1924.
He had married Louisa Anne, daughter of Admiral Sir William Edmonstone, and had five daughters, Mary, Emma, Georgina, Evangeline, and Geraldine.