Henwood family page
This English surname made its first appearance in Jersey records early in the 19th century
Edward John Henwood and his family
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname is believed to originate with places of the same name in England. There are various places with the name, including Henwood in Cornwall, which is named from Old English henn, meaning 'hen' or 'wild bird' + wudu = 'wood', or Hen Wood in Oxfordshire , which has a different derivation, from old English hiwan, meaning a religious community.
The name first appears in Jersey church records with the baptism of Mary Ann, the daughter of William and Joanna in St Helier in 1820, followed by another daughter, Anna 11 years later in St Lawrence. Several Henwood families appear to have been living in the island in the first half of the 19th century, two at least (see trees below) coming from Cornwall.
- Descendants of Francis Henwood
- Descendants of John Henwood, tree starting in Cornwall in the 16th century
- Descendants of William Henwood Added 2019
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Edward Frank Henwood (1899-1987) (St H) , Able Seaman Rn, HMS Nottingham
- John Albert Henwood (1893-1970) (St H) ex-RMIJ, Private, Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry
- Philip John Henwood (1898- ) (St P) son of Philip and Ada Sophia, Private, Machine Gun Corps
- Richard Henwood (1853- ) (St H) son of Henry and Lucy, husband of Louisa, Mercantile Marine
- Thomas H Henwood Rifleman, King's Royal Rifle Corps
- William Charles Henwood (1890- ) (St L) son of William Le Gros and Agnes , ex-RMIJ, Private, RJGB
These wills created by members of the Henwood family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Richard Henwood, St Helier, bequeaths to Marian Albert de La Haye Stuart Lodge, Pomona Road, St Helier - 7 December 1938, D/Y/A/103
- William Henwood of Argyle House, Havre des Pas, St Helier - 13 July 1897, D/Y/A/56
- William Henwood, St Lawrence - 8 August 1939, D/Y/A/105
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs