Hibbs family page
James Bower Hibbs, born in Guernsey in 1859, was living in Jersey by the age of 12. He is pictured in 1909 in his uniform as a driver in Jersey's Fire Brigade. He married Rebecca Amelia Hepburn in St Helier in 1879 and they had seven children
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name is a diminuitive of Hibbert, from the Norman Hildebert, hild = battle, berht = famous.
The name first appeared in Jersey church records in 1828, but it was not until the 1850s that the first family, that of Thomas Hibbs and Mary Ann Bowers, became established.
- Ibbotson (son of Hibbs)
- Descendants of Alexander Hebba Ibbs
- Descendants of Joseph Hibbs, alternative version of above with early generations deleted
Births and baptisms
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Hibbs family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Hibbs : Bernard , Bel Vista, 4, Elizabeth Place, St Helier - 13/Oct/1956 , 05/Oct/1970 , D/Y/B1/150/29
- Hibbs : Charles Henry , of 1, Haig Homes, Princess Elizabeth Place, Greve d'Azette, St Clement and formerly of Northfields, Byron Lane, St Helier - 22/Jan/1957 , 02/Aug/1972 , D/Y/B1/178/23
- Hibbs : Clarice Victoria , widow of Cyril Godfray Le Lievre and wife of William Henry McDowell, of Sharnbrook, Mont a L'Abbe, St Helier - 05/Feb/1971 , 31/Aug/1977 , D/Y/B1/265/5
- Hibbs : Ethelind , widow of Clarence John de la Mare, of 11, Grouville Park, Grouville - 25/Nov/1970 , 08/Dec/1972 , D/Y/B1/183/50
- Hibbs : Herbert Bower , son of James, of St Helier Bequeaths to his wife Florence Harriet Dundas Hibbs, nee Binet, the property known as 4, formerly 10, St Mark's Road, St Helier - 27/Sep/1930 , 28/Nov/1955 , D/Y/B1/33/8
- Hibbs : James , St Helier - 13/Sep/1921 , 19/Jul/1922 , D/Y/A/82/93
- Hibbs : James Hepburn , of Springbank, Vallee des Vaux, St Helier and formerly of Millbrook House, St Lawrence - 28/Apr/1941 , 21/Jul/1969 , D/Y/B1/134/41
- Hibbs : Sarah , St Helier, widow of Albert Henry Pitman - 30/Jul/1915 , 07/Jan/1919 , D/Y/A/79/2
- Hibbs : Thomas , of Gloucester Street, St Helier - 21/Jan/1889 , 28/Jun/1892 , D/Y/A/51/64
- Hibbs : William Henry James , of No 32, Seafield Avenue, Millbrook, St Helier - 05/Dec/1964 , 05/Apr/1979 , D/Y/B1/297/30
Family photo album
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Jeffrey Hibbs at Oosttaverne Wood Cemetery, Belgium