Hicks family page
This family gave Jersey one of its most famous actors
Actor Seymour Hicks with his wife Ellaline and baby Betty in 1907
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname originated in Medieval times from the personal name Richard, which in turn had French and German origins from the 6th century.
Although there are only baptisms on record in Jersey from 1838 onwards, the variations in spelling shown below indicate that the family was present in Jersey much earlier. Jean Hiques and Este Hottin were married in St Martin in 1597 and had seven children baptised there over the next two decades.
- Hicques 1571
- Hiques 1528
- Gicques 1515
- Hicq’z 1461-78
- Hyques 1331
- Hicquez 1580
- Hicqz 1571
Births and baptisms
Family histories and biographies
Two biographies of a famous actor
Great War service
- Vernon William Farquharson Hicks (1897- ) (St H), Lieutenant, Royal Irish Regiment, wounded, PoW
These wills created by members of the Hicks family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Anne Hicks of Buckland, Monschorum, Devon, now of Gorey Village, Grouville - 9 October 1882, D/Y/A/42
- Charles Hicks of 4 Elizabeth Place, St Helier, retired Lieut-General in her Majesty's Indian Army - 7 May 1891, D/Y/A/50
- Emma Hicks, bequeaths all personal property to the Church of St Simon's and the poor of the district - 29 May 1873, D/Y/A/37
- George Hicks of 22, Waverley Terrace, St Saviour, Lieutenant General in Her Majesty's Army and Companion of the Bath , bequeaths to Charles F Hicks Shakespeare in twelve volumes - 1 November 1873, D/Y/A/37
- John Hickman, 2 Rockhampton Villas, St Aubins Road, St Helier - 1 January 1931, D/Y/A/91
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs