Hilltop, St Saviour

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Hilltop, St Saviour


H21HilltopStS.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

Hilltop

Other names

Location

Rue de Beauvoir, St Saviour

Type of property

17th century house

Valuations

Sold for £475,000 in 2010 and £1,385,000 in 2014

Families associated with the property

  • Bardin: 1941 registration cards show the Bardin family living at Hilltop, Five Oaks, which is presumed to relate to this property: Noel Bardin (1919- ), his wife Hilda Ruby, née Noel (1918- ) and their daughter Jean Claire

Datestones

  • CCK MR 1701 QIP - this datestone is recorded in the HER entry, but is not mentioned in the Datestone Register, or elsewhere. It does not conform to the standard pattern of datestones, with two sets of initials and a date and has proved impossible to interpret. Neither CCK nor QIP fit any known combination of given and family names

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

House, circa 17th century with 18th century alterations and gentrification. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Characteristically, for an early property, the house is south facing and located inland near to a tributary valley and fresh water ponds. It has a three-bay, two-storey arrangement with a ground plan typical of its period - a central through passage with a kitchen off one side and living room off the other, with two bedrooms and a small 'cabinet' room upstairs.

The external walls are modern cement rendered but an exposed area on the east gable shows a mixed stone rubble construction with clay packing reinforced with broken pottery. Also evident on this gable is an earlier lime render. A bulge at the base of the west gable perhaps indicates that the house is built on bedrock - again suggesting an early date.

There is a pair of dressed granite chimneystacks with thatching stones. The roof structure was replaced in the 1960s, although covered with earlier pantiles. The principal south front has a straight-topped central doorway of dressed granite, with a chamfered lintel. The wide front door is of Georgian pattern.

The window openings appear regular - perhaps enlarged in the 18th century. The roadside gable is covered with a textured modern render, but the outline of a blocked opening to the upper floor bedroom is just visible. The rear elevation has a central blocked doorway with an offset stair window above.

There are no openings on its southern section (which aligns with the former L-plan building shown on historic maps); and two early multi-pane windows on its northern section, corresponding with the kitchen and main bedroom.

A row of post-war houses has been built close up to the back wall of the house, somewhat compromising the value of its setting.

There may be many internal features of interest that are presently concealed, but what can be seen is indicative of the age and history of the property. To the rear of the entrance hall is a dog-leg mahogany staircase with slender stick balusters and finely turned newels of an early 1800s style; and a blocked rear door. The internal doors leading off from the stair hall at ground and first floors are of a simple three-panel Georgian-pattern - the attic doors having two panels with 18th century hinges.

The east kitchen is lit by a deeply splayed window to the front - illustrating the thickness of the walls - and an early rear window with small square panes and wide glazing bars. The room contains a stone corbelled fireplace which clearly pre-dates the narrow moulded mantleshelf with Georgian mouldings that was overlain sometime in the 18th century. The owner reports that there is a stone arched fireplace under the later brick and plaster infill - this could potentially be of medieval origin.

To one side of the fireplace is a small integral cupboard with fielded panel door. The room has a timber planked ceiling with an early chamfered timber cross beam .

The living room on the ground floor is lit by a front window and has a modern ceiling and fireplace flanked by an integral cupboard (the owner reports that this room was historically used by his family as a stable, with a trapdoor in the ceiling providing access to a first floor hayloft.

The east bedroom contains a moulded 18th century fireplace and has a small rear window with wrought iron pintle strap hinges of early design. The west bedroom contains an identical Georgian fireplace with an integral cupboard of the same period.

Old Jersey Houses

Despite its early origins and features, which would have qualified it for inclusion in Volume One, this property is not mentioned in either volume

These 2010 pictures show that the property was sadly in much the same state as when photographed for the HER entry (top of page). It can be seen how the rear of the house has been totally compromised by the construction of a terrace of new houses. The sale for #1,385,000 in 2014 suggests that the property may have since been renovated

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs