Holmes family page
Esther Margaret Holmes, born in St Peter, Jersey, in 1831, the daughter of John and Margaret, nee Marett. She married John Shillabeer Luckarift (1833- ) and had a daughter Augusta Esther
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name is believed to be derived from one of the many villages in England called Holm or Holme. The name is particularly common in East Anglia. The name was applied to an area of dry land surrounded by fenland, from the Viking holmr = 'island'.
The name first appears in Jersey church records in 1801. The first three baptisms are all for children of Mary, but they appear to be three different Marys, married to Francis, Uriah and Thomas. The first couple to establish a family were Thomas and Elizabeth Huelin, from 1825 onwards.
- Descendants of Charles Holmes
- Descendants of Thomas Holmes
- Descendants of Thomas Holmes and Ann
- Descendants of Jean Holmes
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Alfred Henry Holmes (1890-1943) (St H) son of Henry George and Sarah Jane Ford, Mercantile Marine
- Clifford Reuben Holmes (1896- ) (St H) son of William and Ellen Mary Romeril , Private RMIJ
- John Romeril Holmes (1892- ) (St H) son of Simon and Ellen Mary Romeril, Private, Northamptonshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Holmes family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- James Holmes - 15 October 1879, D/Y/A/40
- Joseph Holmes, Gorey, St Martin Dated - 10 July 1940, D/Y/A/107
- Marguerite Holmes, St Helier - 14 December 1918, D/Y/A/78
- Mary-Ann Holmes, Melbourne House - 1 February 1917, D/Y/A/76
- Simon Holmes of St Clement, now of La Roulerie, Vingtaine de La Croiserie, Trinity - 29 August 1898, D/Y/A/57
- Thomas Holmes of Birmingham, Warwickshire, now of Vingtaine de Noirmont, St Brelade - 26 May 1894, D/Y/A/53
- Thomas Holmes, St Clement - 3 May 1939, D/Y/A/104
- William Holmes, Summerville, Tower Road, St Helier - 9 September 1932, D/Y/A/93
An envelope addressed to Messrs Holmes of Bath Street during the German Occupation in 1941
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs